Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for Oscillating Tool Purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Gaskin View Post
    I know you said Fein is not a consideration but I would try to reconsider if you use it heavily. In my remodeling company we have owned several and the Fein model we originally purchased, along with two others are still in use. The other brands have not lasted. With that said, our guys use them daily and they take a beating.

I did see Home Depot had the Fein for $199
    Well I guess I will give Fein a look. I knew they ran about $300+ but see now that they have a lower amp model in the $160-170 range on Amazon. Was not aware of that, thanks for the heads up!

I love my Porter Cable 18V multi tool, as noted the blades are a PITA in that you can either use PC or Rockwell blades and are pretty expensive. Truth be told I would consider the HF multi tool, get the warranty and blade prices would probably pay for the warranty pretty quickly.

Fein is fine

I have also had the Fein kit for years and I'm impressed by the quality (and even by the length of the power cord!) I use it often. I am by no means a tool snob but the thing I've learned over the decades is I'v never been sorry buying the best tools I could afford.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I have used the heck out of my Porter Cable corded tool for remodeling purposes and it has never let me down. I must warn you that it requires Porter Cable or compatible blades. Some saws will use generic blades that are more widely available.
    +1 I'm very happy with mine. With whatever brand you choose, shop around for blades. They can be expensive. Sometimes the cheapest is Amazon, sometimes AcmeTools, etc.
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    Another reason to get on the bandwagon with the Milwaukee 12 volt system.
    This thing works better than my multimaster.
    Bare Tool is $119

Attachment 312489
    Thats the 18V version, which has a toolless blade change and is $120, the 12V version is only $80 (bare tool) but needs an allen key to change blades.

I've found the 12V version to work quite well, but if you're going to be using it day in and out, the 18V version is worth the extra $40 (assuming you're already in the Milwaukee battery system)

Google oscillating tool reviews. I like cordless as I only use intermittent. I have the Makita 18 volt because I have a set of makita tools. Look for Imperial blades. Also consider the Oshlun blades. Best prices!

Blog Entries
    The first Oscillating tool I used was loaned to me by a contractor. It was a Dremel and while it did a good job of cutting, it was very loud and got very hot during use. I purchased a Bosch corded model and it has done excellent work for me and I use it fairly often. The Bosch I have has variable speed which is a nice feature. Bosch seems to have the best blade selection. It works for long periods of time without getting hot like the Dremel did and I don't think it is quite as noisy, though you'll want to wear eye and ear protection when using any of them. I would definitely buy another one.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

8. I’m just curious. I have the variable speed HF and it is a screamer when cutting. Are the higher priced models quieter or do all of them put out a lot of noise.

Interesting thread but, could someone state the need for variable speed?
    (Hope this isn't considered a hijack.)
    Do like you always do,,,,,get what you always get!!

I have a corded, cheap model, probably the same as hf, and a battery ridgid one, the ridgid is defienetely nicer, and I have rarely ran out of battery power, I normally use it for small odd jobs, my cheap (menards cheap brand) model is very loud, like you need ear plugs loud, I think the ridgid is quite a bit quieter.

I had the Rockwell which I got pretty soon after it came out and while it was good it did get quite hot. I found a good deal on a Fein starter kit and bought that which is a lot nicer tool and has a quick-release blade. However, if I was buying a new one today, I'd probably buy the Milwaukee M12 since I don't use it a ton and the convenience of not having to find a plug would be really nice.

Julian, I have both the Fein and Harbor Freight variable speed, corded models. The Fein is superb, of course, but I've got to say the HF model is quite impressive, even apart from the price point.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Pozzi View Post
    ...could someone state the need for variable speed?
    Good question.

Quote Originally Posted by julian abram View Post
    Yes brushes did not help. It's death was my fault, got baptized during a bathroom remodel. They do not like water immersion!
    Ahhh, it didn't die, it was murdered!!!

You can get the "classic" Fein at a lot of Home Depots for $199. I even saw one of the stores near me clearing them out for some odd reason for $117!!! I shoulda grabbed one, but I've only used my 12v Bosch unit twice, so I passed. They were gone the next morning....
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Pozzi View Post
    Interesting thread but, could someone state the need for variable speed?
    (Hope this isn't considered a hijack.)
    Material. If you're cutting plastics you'll want to slow down, otherwise you can melt the plastic and that just gets troublesome....
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.