Thread: Beer Stein

Beer Stein

I made this beer stein as a farewell gift for my friend. The body is mahogany and walnut (with sapwood walnut on the "rope" carving), the top is cherry, and the handle is walnut and cottonwood. A glass bead is attached to the top. Finished with waterlox original (waterproof, alcohol resistant, and food safe).

Here is a full build log:

http://imgur.com/a/upBli

Very very nice. Super work.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

You have a very lucky friend. Beautifully done!!

Great looking piece. Looks pretty complicated, I love it.
    Tim.
    Seven days without turning makes one weak.

Outstanding!
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Very nice looking stein. Thanks for the build log, too.
    Lori K

That's quite a project there and a beautiful outcome. I sure like all the wood colors and wonderful finish, very nice work Allen!

Boy howdy, that is really well done!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

AMAZING! fantastic work & great picture taking!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

How come no one posts really crappy projects, these just make me sad. I need to find more time to work on my lathe. that looks awesome.

Beautiful! Very well executed. I might have to steal some of the design ideas when I finally get around to making one for myself.

How did you choose to attach the handle?

Very nice. You do great work.

Red
    RED

Thanks for all the comments. Belton, the handle is just glued on with Titebond 3 PVA glue. I used a spindle sander and a large gouge to make the handle's attachment points the inverse curve of the body (or close-ish to it, at least) to increase mating surface area. Hopefully it will hold up. In the future, I might make a copper wire loop as decoration and extra holding strength for the handle. The hinged dinosaur-looking piece is attached to the lid with both glue and a brass screw with epoxy on the threads and the top ground flush.