Thread: Aspen hollow form - airbrushing dye and acrylic texturing

Aspen hollow form - airbrushing dye and acrylic texturing

Just finished up another Aspen HF and wanted to try some acrylic texturing. The lid/finial is all cherry with airbrushed Brown Mahogany Trans tint at the base fading 1/2 way to the top. After I had finished, I kind of wish I would
    have reversed that and airbrushed the tip down. I think it would have looked better where the natural cherry meets the lighter Aspen. Next time!

Overall Dimensions 11" tall x 6 1/2 wide
    Textured with acrylic and "Vermiculite" (artificial sand we use on taxidermy bases)
    Sprayed lacquer finish, wet sanded to 1000g, polished, renaissance waxed.

Critiques and comments always welcome..... Thank you for looking!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Plum purdy, Steve......nicely done!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Wow that is sharp looking. I really like the scooped out finial top. It adds a beautiful, asymmetrical aspect to the piece.
    USMC '97-'01

Great form Steve and I really like the textured band.

Your progress is quite impressive! Personally, I think you made the right decision on the direction of fade. I would offer two suggestions for consideration - both related. On the band, if you could pick up the dark and light shades of the finial and then make the beads black, or a very dark brown, I think it would tie the piece together and play off both the finial and the dark portion of the aspen.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Your progress is quite impressive! Personally, I think you made the right decision on the direction of fade. I would offer two suggestions for consideration - both related. On the band, if you could pick up the dark and light shades of the finial and then make the beads black, or a very dark brown, I think it would tie the piece together and play off both the finial and the dark portion of the aspen.
    Thanks Guys! Interesting John, and I can imagine that look. After this weekend I could easily make the change. Lacquer does not like any wax and will fisheye every time and there is no wax on the texture area, just lacquer and the beads just needs to have the wax removed and sanded. I can easily airbrush these areas. I sure wish I had your visions ahead of time, but I'm getting there. It will be fun to compare and I can re-post the changes next week. I think I will try to make the band to match the top natural cherry color and the beads darker like the base of the lid. If that don't look right, will go with the black.....thank you John!
    Last edited by Steve Huffman; 05-01-2015 at 12:56 PM.

Very nice Steve!!

That thing looks ridiculously nice, great job. I love the airbrushed dye on the lid/finial.

Very nice and I agree with John's comments. There is a principle in art that you never use a color only once unless it is the focal point of the work. It should be repeated elsewhere to tie the piece into a whole.

I also like the tip of the finial - gives it a personal touch. I think everyone should strive to develop their own design, even if it is only a small element. Only other thing would be if the base of the finial fit the HF a bit smoother. It seems to sit just a bit too proud, the line stops at the finial instead of flowing up it uninterupted.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

This is a really well done piece Steve. I agree with Thom's comment about the base of the finial fitting the HF. Maybe I'm swimming against the current on this but I think I'd like to see what might be the character point or focus of the HF itself, especially if it looks anything like the knot above it. Maybe it was an ugly patch of wood under the band, don't know, wasn't there to see it. Very nice touch with the scooped out finial top. Cat's meow!