Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used Festool

Used Festool

What is a used TS 75 worth and a Rotex 150 with a CT 48?

Not sure if either still carry a warranty which I think plays a decent part in the value of the item for me personally.

Depends on age and quality. Generally if still in warantee 80% of retail or better is common.

Are you looking to buy them or sell? Honestly with the price of used Festool, I am totally willing to pay the little bit extra to have it be brand new and with a new 3 year warranty.

Doesn't the warranty only apply to original purchaser? They require proof of purchase for a repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Krusen View Post
    Are you looking to buy them or sell? Honestly with the price of used Festool, I am totally willing to pay the little bit extra to have it be brand new and with a new 3 year warranty.
    +1
    The high price for used Festools makes buying them new a much better deal. You get the 30-day money back guarantee too.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Krusen View Post
    I've never needed to use my warranty but I'm wondering with the seemingly yearly overall increase in Festool's gear, how long can they keep pushing the price up and still be within reason for folks. I wonder if some used stuff bought years ago might now sell for their original price used!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I've never needed to use my warranty but I'm wondering with the seemingly yearly overall increase in Festool's gear, how long can they keep pushing the price up and still be within reason for folks. I wonder if some used stuff bought years ago might now sell for their original price used!
    Exactly. The stuff seemingly appreciates as it depreciates.

I tend to buy Festool stuff new, and I did buy a lot of their recon tools when they had that going. However, I wouldn't buy used unless there was a substantial discount (30% or more) or I was planning on using the tool for a one-off job and then selling it.

I know the warantee is a marketing gig. I've got a ton of festool, not one has been returned for any reason.

I'm looking to buy so I'm weighing the savings of used versus new. The saw is $500 and the Sander/Vac combo is $1100. The saw seems like a better deal pending everything is included and in good shape. The Sander/Vac combo $100-200 less at that price range I think new is better.

Depending on condition the price on the 75 is good. The sander/vac is not. Plus the CT 48 is a little large IMHO, of course it depends on your anticipated usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ulsher View Post
    What is a used TS 75 worth and a Rotex 150 with a CT 48?

Not sure if either still carry a warranty which I think plays a decent part in the value of the item for me personally.
    Andrew

New, you're looking at ~$2k for everything. The 70% number for used won't apply to the Festools across the board, same with Lie- Nielsen. They really tend to keep their value. Heck, here in Ct just avoiding the tax on new makes used pretty attractive. )

The saw is a good deal at $500.00. Only if it comes with the guide rail, and blade, as a minimum. Any blades would make it a better deal. any extra rails would be a really sweet deal.I have the TS-75 and it's a beast, but very well designed. The only saws I've used in the same category are Hilti's
    The Vac and sander aren't quite as good to me, $1100 used, versus $1260 new. I've never seen the big deal with their vac's, but everybody that owns one raves about them. I have a nice Fein, and don't need a vac, so I guess That's why I don't pay attention too much to their vac's.
    Things that could skew price upward for that sander/vac are any of the special attachments for the Vac and abrasive discs for the sander. The age makes a difference also.
    Festool changed the Systainer design a few years back from the two piece snap locks, to a rotary lock. To some folks it makes a difference.

Offer the person $1400.00 cash and see how it goes.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 05-01-2015 at 3:41 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

The saw is being sold by a pawn shop and the sander/vac by an individual. The sander comes with a variety of sand paper the listing stated $100-200 worth.

I'm waiting to see if the pawn shop responds about the saw.

How used is used? Sorry if I missed it but I don't see any description. Used like min-well cared for but definitely have been worked (and being around 7 years old) they might be worth 50% off new. No warranty work ever required. Slightly used tools, even if past warranty, 20% to 30% off could be a decent price. There might not be much value in an assortment of sandpaper if this stuff has been sitting around for years in damp conditions or if they aren't the type and grit of abrasives you would care to use.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ulsher View Post
    The saw is being sold by a pawn shop and the sander/vac by an individual. The sander comes with a variety of sand paper the listing stated $100-200 worth.

I'm waiting to see if the pawn shop responds about the saw.
    Okay, well that's a little, different. I thought it was a package deal for all by a single seller.
    I would negotiate with each seller based n age and condition. For the saw to be worth $500.00 it has to have all of the items it sold with. Any of them that are missing, or damaged, are kind of expensive to replace. It shipped with a 55" guide rail, guide rail stop, and a combination blade in a Systainer box with the arbor wrench, and a ZCI.

If the sander and the vac combo are fairly new, in good shape, and it really does come with the sanding discs, then the price isn't really out of whack.
    $1260 new, plus tax, plus $100-$200 worth of abrasive discs. You can always offer $1k cash on the spot, and see if the seller takes it.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Andrew,

The TS 75 at $500 is a deal if it comes with the 6' guide rail although I'd be a bit leery buying from a pawn shop. If there's no rail it's a no-go, the 6' rail that comes with the saw will cost you another $200, $50 less than a new TS-75 and you have no idea how the saw's been treated. Folks that know enough to buy a TS 75 have a good idea of how to sell them if they need to and pawn shops aren't usually the first option. But it could be just your lucky day...

I'd pass on the CT/Rotex combo at $1100, as you noticed it's only $150 less than new. You can get a Mirka Ceros 6" with their quieter and just as powerful vac for $995 from Highland and IMO have a more useful combo. I'll admit to prejudice, I've had a Ceros for 3-4 years now and it's the dream sander as far as I'm concerned. I also have a CT 26, a CT Midi and an old Fein Turbo II. I dragged my Turbo II(quietest of the lot) down to Highland a few weeks ago to compare it with the Mirka vac and bought the Mirka on the spot. It may be that the Mirka has a higher pitch than the Festool or Fein and my aging ears just don't hear it but it sucks just as well or better than either and that's what counts, right? And the Festool vacs take forever to come up to speed compared to the old Fein or the new Mirka, I don't run them on the sander just because I hate being blasted with the initial dust cloud. Call me impatient.

I've never been a fan of the Festool sanders(although I use lots of their tools), there just never seemed to be enough benefit to justify the cost and the handling is no different than any other sander on the market. The Ceros is more like an air sander, plenty of power in a light, easily controllable package. No one company makes the best of everything and Festool is no exception, Mirka is an abrasives manufacturer and if anyone knows what the sanding community needs I'd expect it to be them or 3M. They haven't disappointed me and I've used just about every electric sander made since the early '80s and a few pneumatics as well.

But all this is just my $.02 worth from my experiences, you pays your money and takes your choice. YMMV.

HTH,
    Bill