Thread: Cleaning up from a Road Trip

Cleaning up from a Road Trip

That brought these small items home
    two dollar saws.jpg
    bundle of saws for two dollars, and the box of toys for 8 bucks
    little plane.jpg
    Biggie plane was 6 bucks, but they threw in the Razor plane. Chisels were a buck each. Got the package home, first thing...that Great Neck Tool Box saw was thrown out. The other three? One was a Disston National Hardware Special. The next one needed a bit of clean up, so
    IMAG0096.jpg
    8ppi shorty saw, according to the etch it is a Columbian Brand. Yep there is an etch, takes up most of the blade
    IMAG0095.jpg
    Them's rivets holding the plate on the handle. The fourth saw needed a repair to the handle, and a screw removed, too, found enough brass bolts for it
    IMAG0098.jpg
    Brass is now shiny, again. Bolts are even "clocked"
    IMAG0101.jpg
    Will need to sharpen it up, a bit. As for the box of toys. The Razor Plane is from Little Giant. Oval shaped, and still had a Wilkinson blade in it. I guess I can fair curves with it? The bigger plane?
    IMAG0104.jpg
    Great Neck made Corsair C-4 Them's wood handles on there. Iron was sitting bevel up, with the chipbreaker ON the bevel. Will sharpen it up, later. Might even get a shaving to appear. The two chisels? Need a bit of time on the stones. The 1/2" one has "Drop Forged" stamped in it. Labels have a blue and silver logo.

Ten dollars on a road trip? Spent three times that for lunch. Turned down a few items with cords sticking out of them, too. Didn't even rain any, not too bad day?

Blog Entries
    Ah, spring and the smell of rust in the air.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Ah, but here is the kicker for these saws. The "7" is a No. 7 Lightweight ship pattern from before 1928. Open top handle.

The plate saw seems to be, and feel like, an Atkins made saw. Columbian Brand saw works of Indy?

Have found an etch on both saws. There is a "Y DISS.." above the Keystone etch. There is NO "D" in it, either. Handle pattern matches the No. 7 Lightweight Ship pattern. Medallion is also from that era. The two saws cost a combined one dollar bill.

Still trying to make out the label on the chisels. Starts with..Sta...Blue and Silver logo. Has "Drop Forged" stamped into the back of the 1/2" wide chisel. The other is more of a sash chisel than a mortise chisel. There is a brass ferrel at the handle. Thin washer on the end, looks like leather? Dollar each, a bit pricey?

Ok, finally got around to cleaning the "third" saw up. Might at some later date clean the toybox saw up. But, for now this one will do.
    Disston saw.jpg
    May I present, from 1954, The Disston National Hardware Special. With a readable etch, mind you.
    etch.jpg
    Seems to be an 8ppi crosscut saw. Steel hardware, that MIGHT have been at one time plated with Brass. Haven't bother to even sand the handle.
    saw at the saw bench.jpg
    Here tis, leaning up against the saw bench. Think it MIGHT be worth the $0.67 I paid for it? It will need a sharpening, if it is to be a working saw..little on the dull side.

Well, got to thinking...maybe I should just clean the fourth saw up. Was sitting here bored, anyway. Dug the saw out, took the two bolts out. Had a spare for the third one. Polished the bolts back to shiny steel. Sanded the handle, and gave it a wipe down with some BLO. About like painting a sponge. Finally got it to stop sucking up the BLO. Set it aside. Palmsander and 100 grit paper to clean the rust off the plate. Final was with 220 grit. Wiped down the handle, and put things back together.
    IMAG0104.jpg
    Hey, for about $0.50...not too bad. At least it was still sharp.
    IMAG0103.jpg
    Tried, but that "Great Neck" decal just wouldn't leave. So, now I have a toolbox saw. Didn't know I needed one. It will cut lumber, though. May not be as "pretty" as the other saws I have been cleaning up
    IMAG0105.jpg
    Like this Disston No.7 that I traded a junk plane for. They got the plane, I got the saw. Works for me.

Some people just have the Midas touch. I've spent 3 to 5 $ for things not near that nice.