Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is The Dust-Free Workshop A Myth?

Is The Dust-Free Workshop A Myth?

I know there have been reports of sightings - "I saw it! A workshop free of dust, and they hadn't just cleaned it!"

And then there's this really far-fetched sighting: "I walked into a shop that cuts a lot of MDF and there wasn't a spec of dust anywhere."

Personally I think these sightings are like Bigfoot and Nessie.

A dust-free workshop is a workshop that doesn't do anything. If you cut wood, you will make sawdust and there isn't a single dust collector in the world that will get it all.

In a word; YES
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by David Helm View Post
    In a word; YES
    That's a pretty blunt but true statement!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Yep. It is complete fiction! You won't find it in the non-fiction section of the library.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

A realistic goal should be to minimize the dust you breath as much a you can. Get a good dc and air filtration, and wear a mask when those systems aren't enough. We can never expect to completely eliminate it, but that's not my definition of success.

The only dust free wood shops I've ever seen are in the Fine Woodworking pictures. I can imagine what they go through before they take those pictures.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

What dust, that is wood filler!

Search for a woodworker named Tyme that has what is called a "dust free woodshop". He has an elaborate dust collection system, but I know the shop can't be dust free because he has a lathe.

I found a story at dreamgarage dot com also revealing it's not "dust free".

It says :

The 50" compressed-air hose from the reel above the door can reach anywhere in the shop. Tyme has others in the shop but mounted this one above the door intentionally. "I can use it to blow loose dust and debris right out the door into the yard and use it as mulch," he says.

Last edited by Andrew Joiner; 05-01-2015 at 3:14 PM.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I can imagine what they go through before they take those pictures.
    Not much. A leaf blower, a breezy day, some open overhead doors, and you've got a shop that looks like a tool showroom.

I try to keep my shop as clean as possible since nobody has given me a solid reason why working in a mess is better, and I just like clean. In the winter it is harder since opening the doors means freeing expensive heat, but in the summer it's a cakewalk. Sweep up every day, 20 minutes once a week with a leaf blower, and it's pretty much sterile. Fortunately, winter is only like eight months long in Minnesota....

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Fortunately, winter is only like eight months long in Minnesota....
    I asked a Minnesotan what they did in the summer there and he said they usually have a picnic that day.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I use the leaf blower as well, but.....

If it is a two stroke cover your stock. It took me a couple of years to finally figure out where my occasional fisheyes were coming from. I would fire up my Husqvarna backpack on a windy day and blow off everything, but being as I did not immediately start to finish something it took a while for it to click. I bought a 4-stroke blower just for the shop.

Not as much fun as the big Husqvarna though..........

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I use the leaf blower as well, but.....

If it is a two stroke cover your stock. It took me a couple of years to finally figure out where my occasional fisheyes were coming from. I would fire up my Husqvarna backpack on a windy day and blow off everything, but being as I did not immediately start to finish something it took a while for it to click. I bought a 4-stroke blower just for the shop.

Not as much fun as the big Husqvarna though..........

Does the exhaust go through the blower somehow on a Husky? I've got a two cycle Stihl, and the muffler is facing forward, but I have yet to notice any splatter from anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I asked a Minnesotan what they did in the summer there and he said they usually have a picnic that day.

Mike
    So sad, and so true...

What's important is dust-free lungs!!

That's why I think the proper term for a duct collector is a shavings collector.
    That's why I think the function of a DC is less sweeping and the function of a respirator is protecting your lungs.

I put it right up there with "Odor Free Cat Litter".
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)