Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: G0766 ... they're on their way!!!

OK - Take ONE - ACTION - speak clearly into the microphone, and step-by-step, show us all what you've got delivered, and how to unpack, assemble, and test. I, especially, am anxiously awaiting the video unveiling of the first G0766 Lathe from Grizzly.

This is a request from the peanut gallery of Nashville, TN. Please act as though the whole world is watching - which it is. Thank you.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    OK - Take ONE - ACTION - speak clearly into the microphone, and step-by-step, show us all what you've got delivered, and how to unpack, assemble, and test. I, especially, am anxiously awaiting the video unveiling of the first G0766 Lathe from Grizzly.

This is a request from the peanut gallery of Nashville, TN. Please act as though the whole world is watching - which it is. Thank you.
    might not be video.........more likely a few pics with descriptions.........I don't think SMC allows videos to be uploaded, although I am not sure on that issue.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

You Tube the video and post the link here Roger
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

4. Quote Originally Posted by Brian Myers View Post
    You Tube the video and post the link here Roger
    I am not much of a computer guy, and have never done that.......besides, trying to produce a suitable video and set up this lathe in my small shop/studio would be more than a frustrating event! I will just post some pics and some commentary......if it is anything like my G0698 was to set up [which it is!] it is a piece of cake! Lifting and moving the parts will be the biggest challenge.

Roger, at this point I think it'd probably be best just to have the lathe sent to my address so I can do a video review. I'm sure you won't mind as it is for the better good of the forum

Naw, I'll just be happy (and jealous) to see pics up and your first thoughts!

Roger, I wonder if a 3520b bed extension would attach to the G0766. I assume not... wonder if Grizzly will offer one.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Ben Pierce View Post
    Roger, I wonder if a 3520b bed extension would attach to the G0766. I assume not... wonder if Grizzly will offer one.
    Ben.......I sent them an email about that very thing back about a month ago, and they are supposed to be taking that request under advisement. For those turners who want one for the G0766, it would not hurt to make a formal request by email to customer service and ask them to take that request to decision makers.

Roger, you mentioned something to the effect that "for a lot of us, this is waiting for Christmas". Heck, I'm not sure I've been this excited since I prayed Santa would bring me a big wheel, and he did. Of course I am kidding but, I really can't wait. It's actually a lot of fun now that it's this close. Holy cow, I have waited so long to turn, I think I won't leave the shop for days. The great news is that my great wife understands (as much as she can) and said just let her know when I need food and drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Brandstetter View Post
    Roger, you mentioned something to the effect that "for a lot of us, this is waiting for Christmas". Heck, I'm not sure I've been this excited since I prayed Santa would bring me a big wheel, and he did. Of course I am kidding but, I really can't wait. It's actually a lot of fun now that it's this close. Holy cow, I have waited so long to turn, I think I won't leave the shop for days. The great news is that my great wife understands (as much as she can) and said just let her know when I need food and drink.
    Geez, Scott.........you had better hold on to her real tight........she's a keeper for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Pierce View Post
    I wonder if a 3520b bed extension would attach to the G0766
    I think that would cause mass suicide within the PM community if parts were found to be interchangeable.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I think that would cause mass suicide within the PM community if parts were found to be interchangeable.
    Cary........I know for a fact that some of the parts of my former G0698 were interchangable. I have noticed on the pics of the G0766 that the handle for tightening the quill are identical to ones on the PM 3520b. Since there are a lot of lathes made by the Burt Group for different vendors, there are parts that are used on more than one model lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Pierce View Post
    I wondered that too. Then I wondered if the tool post extension would be long enough for the extra inch of bed clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dupras View Post
    I wondered that too. Then I wondered if the tool post extension would be long enough for the extra inch of bed clearance.
    The 3520 has machined surfaces to bolt the extension on the lower position. I don't see that on the Grizzly. A long stem tool rest would provide extra height with the extension. It appears that the stance is a couple inches narrower on the Grizzly also. I have turned quite a few big pieces on the extension of my 3520 and had the head stock rocking back and forth. Bolting it to the floor would help. The Robust stance is another couple inches wider than the Powermatic.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    The 3520 has machined surfaces to bolt the extension on the lower position. I don't see that on the Grizzly. A long stem tool rest would provide extra height with the extension. It appears that the stance is a couple inches narrower on the Grizzly also. I have turned quite a few big pieces on the extension of my 3520 and had the head stock rocking back and forth. Bolting it to the floor would help. The Robust stance is another couple inches wider than the Powermatic.
    I did notice the machined surface on the leg to mount the extension, but I'm guessing the machined surfaces are more for lineup rather than needed support since there are no similar areas on the end of the bed. This is pure speculation on my part. Powermatic does make a free standing tool rest for not a lot more than the bed extension. But if I buy the Grizzly, I'll probably make my own free standing tool rest and see how that works before I go through the expense of a commercial one. Still, I'd be interested to know if anyone does mount the PM extension to the Grizzly. Or any similar sized Grizzly for that matter.

As much as I'd love to have an AB or even a Liberty, I just can't justify that kind of money on a hobby lathe.

Thee one feature I'd like to see is a hinged bed extension - that way you can pivot the tailstock out of the way. Once I get mine, I may have to design one and have my eldest son fabricate and machine it for me. Like the Nova:
    nova-swingaway.jpg