Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: G0766 ... they're on their way!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dupras View Post
    I did notice the machined surface on the leg to mount the extension, but I'm guessing the machined surfaces are more for lineup rather than needed support since there are no similar areas on the end of the bed. This is pure speculation on my part. Powermatic does make a free standing tool rest for not a lot more than the bed extension. But if I buy the Grizzly, I'll probably make my own free standing tool rest and see how that works before I go through the expense of a commercial one. Still, I'd be interested to know if anyone does mount the PM extension to the Grizzly. Or any similar sized Grizzly for that matter.

As much as I'd love to have an AB or even a Liberty, I just can't justify that kind of money on a hobby lathe.

I found that the extension on the Poermatic tended to vibrate when turning large pieces. I used my hydraulic table under it for support. I suspect the Robust machines would also have problems when the extension is unsupported to the side like the Sweet Sixteen?
    Member Illiana Woodturners

2. Spoke with Grizzly CS this morning.......the G0766 lathes are still not at the Missouri Dist. Center yet....they think they will be there on Tuesday 5/26 since Monday is a holiday. She said they would ship next week........so.........we wait a few more days! They have charged my account already, which is fine, so........I guess this is to expedite things and have them ready to go, perhaps.

This past Monday, the CS rep said they would go to Bellingham, WA first, .........this rep said they would go directly from the port to the Missouri Dist. Center, which was what other reps have told me. I guess the situation is fluid, and I told her that I wanted them to streamline the process as much as possible!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 05-21-2015 at 8:31 AM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    This past Monday, the CS rep said they would go to Bellingham, WA first, .........this rep said they would go directly from the port to the Missouri Dist. Center, which was what other reps have told me. I guess the situation is fluid, and I told her that I wanted them to streamline the process as much as possible!
    Used to be -everything- went through Corp headquarters in Bellingham, that might have changed.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

This is what I got today:

Dear Mr. Sevey,"Thank you for your email dated May 20, 2015.We are writing to inform you that the current expected shipment date for your backordered G0766 lathe is approximately June 3, 2015. Production delays can occur however, and each shipment must pass our stringent quality inspection prior to shipping. The date above is our best estimate at this time. We are working to get your order shipped as quickly as possible, and apologize for the delay."

Hee, hee, I'm beginning to think our grandmothers were right after all: "A watched pot never...."

6. Got a call from one of the big wigs @ the Springfield Missouri Distribution center...........some delays have occurred, and they have to go through customs, etc. but the gentleman thinks the shipping to customers should take place within the next two weeks. He is personally monitoring it on a daily basis and will personally update me, he said.

The info they got on that "confirmed date" of 5/15 was what the factory overseas gave them, and they based the info given out to customers who called on that information. He did not want to keep giving any more dates out and add to the confusion, but thinks it will all be taken care of shortly, but wanted to personally update me on the situation with the G0766 lathes ........they are doing their utmost to expedite things, he says!

Here's what I got from cs on Tuesday..........not exactly the response I was hoping for...........

Dear Mr. Mooney,

Thank you for your email dated May 18, 2015.

We are happy to assist you. After reviewing your order, I have found that the G0766 is expected to arrive in our warehouse on approximately July 10, 2015. Once received, backorders are processed and shipped to arrive in approximately three to five business days. We do fill backorders first.

If we may be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. You are a valued customer, and we look forward to serving your future woodworking and metalworking needs.
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

Walter, when did you place your order? I ordered on Feb. 11 and they are telling me May 25 for arrival at their warehouse. It's getting confusing.

Red
    RED

9. Quote Originally Posted by Randy Red Bemont View Post
    Walter, when did you place your order? I ordered on Feb. 11 and they are telling me May 25 for arrival at their warehouse. It's getting confusing.

Red
    From what the Assistant Mgr. of the Missouri Dist. Center told me yesterday, the orders will be filled in the sequence in which they came in......all places will be held in the line. It seems they have at least two, maybe 3 shipments in que, so the wait on the second and third shipments won't be nearly as long as the first shipment has been waiting..........

I wish the factory had been working on these before the announcement came out in the catalog, but it seems they were just getting tooled up for making this model..............but now that they are in manufacturing process, they should be coming off the line at a faster rate, and that is a good thing!

Just got off the phone with CS, still holding fast on the May 26 date, looks like the first batch will ship out of Missouri. I doubt they are all in the know, she was unaware of a customs hold up. For reference, I ordered Feb. 3 and I'm 6th in line.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

If I recall correctly, I ordered in late March, maybe, or early April. I'm clearly not even close to the front of the line............
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

Here they come, there they go, were they ever really here?

The rumor is that customs has scored the shipment. It might be held up for three months, or forever! Homeland Security and the DEA is rumored to be involved also, something about those 150 pound boxes the 450 pound lathes come in has got their attention. I don't think Immigration is involved, . . . yet.

Of course it is also possible that there is still a lot of crap piled up on the docks trying to get unloaded and sorted. The slowdowns and stoppages could take a long time to get untangled with the huge tonnage that the docks normally handle every day. I don't have a clue. Stirring the pot and starting rumors seems like the only activity I'll see for awhile. Sure glad that I didn't take my old lathe out of the way like I planned to do but have been too busy to get done. Checking if my credit card has been billed. If it has, I'm going to tell them to give me my money back until the lathe is ready to ship since that is when they said they would take the money and apparently they don't really have a clue when the lathes are shipping to customers. My bet is that Grizzly hasn't seen the lathes or is just seeing them. If Burt didn't ship what was ordered and what was advertised . . . . .

Speculation is rife, the stomach is churning, and the internet forums are burning! Does the G-0766 really exist? Did it ever exist? Will it ever exist? Stay tuned to this forum to find out!

Hu

13. Quote Originally Posted by hu lowery View Post
    The rumor is that customs has scored the shipment. It might be held up for three months, or forever! Homeland Security and the DEA is rumored to be involved also, something about those 150 pound boxes the 450 pound lathes come in has got their attention. I don't think Immigration is involved, . . . yet.

Of course it is also possible that there is still a lot of crap piled up on the docks trying to get unloaded and sorted. The slowdowns and stoppages could take a long time to get untangled with the huge tonnage that the docks normally handle every day. I don't have a clue. Stirring the pot and starting rumors seems like the only activity I'll see for awhile. Sure glad that I didn't take my old lathe out of the way like I planned to do but have been too busy to get done. Checking if my credit card has been billed. If it has, I'm going to tell them to give me my money back until the lathe is ready to ship since that is when they said they would take the money and apparently they don't really have a clue when the lathes are shipping to customers. My bet is that Grizzly hasn't seen the lathes or is just seeing them. If Burt didn't ship what was ordered and what was advertised . . . . .

Speculation is rife, the stomach is churning, and the internet forums are burning! Does the G-0766 really exist? Did it ever exist? Will it ever exist? Stay tuned to this forum to find out!

Hu
    Hu, according to the Asst. Mgr at Springfield Dist. center, they charged my card, only meaning to put a hold, but they have now taken that hold off and my funds are there in the bank........I offered to let them keep the money, but he said they did not want to do that, but wait until the lathe actually ships.

I know that Grizzly is pushing the shippers on this, but I suspect you are correct about docks being piled up . I am supposed to be updated personally by this guy who took this action on his own to communicate with me........he wants to avoid as much confusion as possible, so I look forward to hearing from him. He did say it is possible that they may arrive earlier than a couple of weeks but we have to see how that plays out.

By the way........those crates.........the PM 3520b comes packed in cardboard. The G0766 will arrive in a wooden crate, with lots of extra small pieces of plywood put together to make the risers for pallet jacks and is all put together with metal bracing and strapping, so when you get that crate, you will be able to use the plywood for building something if you like! That accounts for the extra shipping weight on the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Hu, according to the Asst. Mgr at Springfield Dist. center, they charged my card, only meaning to put a hold, but they have now taken that hold off and my funds are there in the bank........I offered to let them keep the money, but he said they did not want to do that, but wait until the lathe actually ships.

I know that Grizzly is pushing the shippers on this, but I suspect you are correct about docks being piled up . I am supposed to be updated personally by this guy who took this action on his own to communicate with me........he wants to avoid as much confusion as possible, so I look forward to hearing from him. He did say it is possible that they may arrive earlier than a couple of weeks but we have to see how that plays out.

By the way........those crates.........the PM 3520b comes packed in cardboard. The G0766 will arrive in a wooden crate, with lots of extra small pieces of plywood put together to make the risers for pallet jacks and is all put together with metal bracing and strapping, so when you get that crate, you will be able to use the plywood for building something if you like! That accounts for the extra shipping weight on the thing.

Roger,

I understand crating overkill. In the many years I have shipped things to others I have never had a damaged item. Sometimes the packaging weighed more than what I was shipping but everything gets there. A hundred and fifty pounds still sounds like a lot of wood. Wish it would be some exotic wood like Henry Ford used to get from South America. He would only accept spanish moss in wooden crates then he used the crates of exotic wood to make dashboards, door panels, and such. A thinking man.

Hu

Quote Originally Posted by hu lowery View Post
    Roger,

I understand crating overkill. In the many years I have shipped things to others I have never had a damaged item. Sometimes the packaging weighed more than what I was shipping but everything gets there. A hundred and fifty pounds still sounds like a lot of wood. Wish it would be some exotic wood like Henry Ford used to get from South America. He would only accept spanish moss in wooden crates then he used the crates of exotic wood to make dashboards, door panels, and such. A thinking man.

Hu
    Hu, the plywood my G0733 came in three years ago may not have met Mr. Ford's requirements for dashboards, but it was pretty nice. Repurposed it for a ballast box that holds 450 lbs of masonry sand. I suspect the crates for the G0766 will be similar:

CIMG6534.jpg