Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: G0766 ... they're on their way!!!

Now I am really in a quandary: My wife and I have listed our house for sale, and I would not want to take delivery and get all setup, only to have to tear down and pack into storage facility (because we don't have a house lined up to move to yet). Dang, I really want this lathe soon. I have good chunks of wood calling to me.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    Now I am really in a quandary: My wife and I have listed our house for sale, and I would not want to take delivery and get all setup, only to have to tear down and pack into storage facility (because we don't have a house lined up to move to yet). Dang, I really want this lathe soon. I have good chunks of wood calling to me.
    Well Mark........I know what I would do. If the prospect of a new home/shop may take a few months to materialize, then I would go ahead, and get some of that wood processed and get the lathe in and set up. I recently moved my other lathe, the 18/47 G0698 to our club site [about 35 miles away] and moving it on a trailer was a fairly simple proposition. Just strapped it down with six ratchet straps and it made the trek up the interstate easily. I used two movers dollies to put the legs up on a rolled it onto the gate of the trailer, so it was an easy process.

Seems to me getting it in and using it will diminish your wood stash, and reduce the amount you have transfer to your new location, and you get the enjoyment of a new machine and perhaps can sell a few items in the mean time!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Thanks Roger for the insight. I will use this argument with my wife, because every time I get just enough to purchase a big ticket item like this, something happens to take my fun money away.

Our club had someone fabricate dollies out of steel that allow us to lift up and roll the large PM 3520B and Oneways after workshops or demos. I have an older son who is a primo welder, and I can sketch those up and have him fabricate them. The only other small obstacle is getting a 220v circuit into the new garage space. Plenty easy as I just had a new 200A service panel installed on the other side of a wall, and there are several open spots for new circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Well Mark........I know what I would do. If the prospect of a new home/shop may take a few months to materialize, then I would go ahead, and get some of that wood processed and get the lathe in and set up. I recently moved my other lathe, the 18/47 G0698 to our club site [about 35 miles away] and moving it on a trailer was a fairly simple proposition. Just strapped it down with six ratchet straps and it made the trek up the interstate easily. I used two movers dollies to put the legs up on a rolled it onto the gate of the trailer, so it was an easy process.

Seems to me getting it in and using it will diminish your wood stash, and reduce the amount you have transfer to your new location, and you get the enjoyment of a new machine and perhaps can sell a few items in the mean time!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    Thanks Roger for the insight. I will use this argument with my wife, because every time I get just enough to purchase a big ticket item like this, something happens to take my fun money away.

Our club had someone fabricate dollies out of steel that allow us to lift up and roll the large PM 3520B and Oneways after workshops or demos. I have an older son who is a primo welder, and I can sketch those up and have him fabricate them. The only other small obstacle is getting a 220v circuit into the new garage space. Plenty easy as I just had a new 200A service panel installed on the other side of a wall, and there are several open spots for new circuits.
    Sounds like you no longer have a problem, but a bunch of opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post

Mark,

I agree with Roger, if funds allow grab the lathe! The things that I put off until the best time often get put off for years or never happen. Sometimes you have to grab the bull by the horns, the tiger by the tail, mix all the metaphors you can, and act!

Hu

When my club moves the Jet that we borrow, we have two poles and four strong backs lift and carry it onto a trailer where it is strapped down. I made the mistake of helping one other person tug it into place and paid for it with two weeks of back pain.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I read that it was felt that the price would go up on the g0766 next year, of course that was possibly unfounded chatter. I guess the point was the g0733 costs more.

8. Quote Originally Posted by david privett View Post
    I read that it was felt that the price would go up on the g0766 next year, of course that was possibly unfounded chatter. I guess the point was the g0733 costs more.
    That has been the previous pattern they have followed at Grizzly in the past.......at this price, this lathe is a great bargain, so I think we will see it hit the $1995 mark or maybe even a bit higher come 2016.

I agree based on previous experience with Grizzly and brand new tool models. Id look for the price to jump close to $500 by next catalog release.

Quote Originally Posted by david privett View Post
    From the very beginning, Grizzley has consistently said that this is an introductory price.

I spoke with a CSR from Grizzly a couple days ago about another issue and she checked on the lathe order while I had her. Said I was number 15 and that 25 lathes were on the first shipment. She did say though, that from what she could tell, it would be around the 28th before any shipped. Who really knows.

12. The last conversation I had with a CSR @ Grizzly said the 15th of May was a "confirmed" date. She checked on my specific order by the order number...........not sure how the person you spoke with looked up your request.......not sure how they work out all the logistics? We are certainly getting close, so we will see how it all works out!

13. Quote Originally Posted by Scott Brandstetter View Post
    I spoke with a CSR from Grizzly a couple days ago about another issue and she checked on the lathe order while I had her. Said I was number 15 and that 25 lathes were on the first shipment. She did say though, that from what she could tell, it would be around the 28th before any shipped. Who really knows.
    Roughly when did you place your order? Ill have to check my confirmation to see exactly when I ordered but it seems like it was mid Feb. Just curious if I may be in the first 25.

Edit: My order date was Feb, 4
    Last edited by Dennis Collier; 05-10-2015 at 8:53 PM.

Just got off the phone with Grizzly CS. Im wondering how some CS reps are privy to info that others are not? I asked where I was at in the line up and she said she had no way of knowing or finding that info out. All she could give me was info based on my particular order. I asked about the varying shipping dates everyone is receiving and she said no one has been given a shipping date, just an arrival date and from that date there is an inspection process that takes 1 or 2 business days before it will ship. The reason people are getting different dates is because they are expected to arrive at different locations on different dates obviously. She said the expected arrival date for my unit which will ship to me from the PA service center is May 23.

Dennis,

I wonder if each shipment from china will be broken down into shipments to each distribution center to fill backorders before they start stocking each distribution center? Would seem to make sense, of course it would seem to make sense to fill all backorders from one distribution center and cut out a step, saving time and trucking.

I notice it seems we all are told something slightly different depending on the customer service rep we talk to. We won't know the straight skinny until we get the e-mail that the machine has shipped towards us it looks like. I was going to take my machine down after a project I expect to finish today since I have to move a lot of stuff to get it out and the new one in. I may have to rethink that. Gonna be painful if the new lathe gets here and I have to look at it in a crate for a few days or a week but I could suffer serious withdrawal symptoms with no lathe at all.

Hu