Thread: Hybrid filing question

Hybrid filing question

I have a Millers Falls 1413 back saw that I purchased new for shop use in the 1970s. It has been used for anything and everything, wood wise that is. It has been touch up sharpened by myself and others over the years but the tooth line remains straight and not bad. It is about rip filed at this point. I want to try a hybrid file on it. Although I have only done light touch up filing I am confident that I can file the saw to any profile. What I need is an idea of rake and fleam for a hybrid filing for a general use saw. I have good carcass and dove tail saws so this saw would be my grab and go saw for the bench. Thanks in advance.
    Jim

It looks like 6-12 degrees of rake and 10 degrees of fleam is a middle of the road. Maybe slope the gullets a little for clearing out material?

I like 10 and 10. Here's a good article from Bad Axe:
    http://www.badaxetoolworks.com/Filing.php
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

I file every saw with more than 10tpi rip, more rake toward the front and less rake toward the handle. I get buy with less set, this way.

Any fleam on my finer saws is incidental.

Thanks gentlemen. That will help me get going on this sharpening task.
    Jim

Hi James. What city are you in? If close by, feel free to stop by. We can take a look at different filings first hand. The 10, 10 is basically an aggressive cross cut. Much depends on what woods you generally cut and there are always trade offs on the different combination/ "hybrid" filings. Best wishes. Ron

Hi Ron First thanks for the invite. I'm located in the KC area tho. I appreciate the info a lot knowing your expertise. The saw is 13 tpi and I'm going to leave it there for now. I was thinking of using a 10* rake and going with a really lite fleam of maybe 5* or so. I thought I may relax the rake to 15* for the first 2". I am just guessing but my thought is that would make an easy starting kind of all around saw. I have been working in oak, white or red for a few years, LOML likes it. What do you think of my idea for the saw?
    Thanks again
    Jim

Start by just relaxing the rake a little - with small teeth that might be enough.

The 13ppi, 10* rake and 5* fleam should work fine. +1 what Jim said with regard to rake. 10* rake is pretty relaxed on a rip saw. A lighter touch may help with tear out as well.
    BTW, My boss is a red oak fan as well. I never say no to "the Boss". Bad Karma Take care.

Ron and Jim
    thanks for all of the info. It will probably be a couple of weeks before I work on the saw. I'm in the process of house painting (watching). My great neighbor is doing most of it, I am a go for. I can do a little but not a lot. It is good to have good neighbors. I do what I can for him like some mowing with my lawn tractor and occasional help with some woodworking. I hope all of you are blessed with great neighbors that will volunteer to help you paint your house and then do 90% of the work. I'll post after I do the saw to let you all know how it comes out.
    Jim