Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 110 vs 220

110 vs 220

Purchasing a new lathe and have the choice between 110v and 220v for the same price. Will run a dedicated line to where the lathe will sit.

I am leaning towards the 220 option but would like opinions from others on why this may be the right way to go.

Thanks

How big is the motor? If it's more than 1.5HP you want to go 240V. If it's under 1.5HP you can go 120V. If it's exactly 1.5HP it's a toss up - take your choice. The advantage of staying 120V is that if you want to rearrange your shop you may not have to run a new circuit.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I decide based on my dust collector. Since the DC is 110, I try to have all my big tools 220 so it doesn't trip the circuit on startup.

Likely a different story with a lathe though assuming you have non DC with it.

I'd go 110 probably, and abide by Mike's advice.

First off, Welcome to Sawmill Creek.

If the motor is rated for either voltage, then run whichever voltage potential is easiest for you to accomplish.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I agree with Cutler.
    Henerson made some recomendations, but I see no reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by dirk martin View Post
    I agree with Cutler. Henerson made some recomendations, but I see no reasoning.
    The reason for running an induction motor of greater than 1.5 hp on a 240 V circuit is that the current draw will likely exceed the capacity of a typical 120V circuit (20A). In fact, you aren't likely to even find a 120V motor with greater than a 1.5 HP rating.

*Not counting universal motors or Craftsman induction motors, the horsepower ratings for which are pure fiction.
    Chuck Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    The reason for running an induction motor of greater than 1.5 hp on a 240 V circuit is that the current draw will likely exceed the capacity of a typical 120V circuit (20A). In fact, you aren't likely to even find a 120V motor with greater than a 1.5 HP rating.

*Not counting universal motors or Craftsman induction motors, the horsepower ratings for which are pure fiction.
    To clarify, the lathe is a Oneway 1224 which is 1hp. I know there is an operating cost savings for using 220 but the lathe will not be used constantly. Maybe I am better off with 110 so I have more flexibility in moving around machines.

Thanks for all the input

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ford View Post
    To clarify, the lathe is a Oneway 1224 which is 1hp. I know there is an operating cost savings for using 220 but the lathe will not be used constantly. Maybe I am better off with 110 so I have more flexibility in moving around machines. Thanks for all the input
    If it's already wired for 120, it's fine to leave it that way. The power consumption is in fact the same at either voltage, and if 120V outlets are more numerous in your shop than 240V outlets (as is the case with most of us), you've got more options for locating your machines, as you said.
    Chuck Taylor

Jeff, there are no operating savings for using 220 vac. The amount of power consumed by the 1 HP motor will remain the same. The major value for using 220vac is you can use a smaller diameter wire as it will use 1/2 the current of it's 110 vac equivalent cousin. The wattage or power consumed will remain the same.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 05-01-2015 at 11:26 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    Charles is exactly right. Sorry for not stating my reasons for the recommendations.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Jeff, I have two of the Oneway 1224's. I run both on 120V. They both work fine. As has been stated, it's easier to re-arrange tools on 120V. Mine have stayed in place since I got them. On a side note, you will love the fit and finish on the 1224.
    Joe

Jeff -

I got nuttin' for you. In fact I don't even get this entire "turn" schtick. Never made a lick of sense to me.

But - I did want to say Hi - welcome to the Creek. Glad to have you here.

And - you just got an excellent example of what happens - you had a very good question. Got quick input from a variety of knowledgeable people, pros and cons, and the logic behind it.

'swhat we do. Jump in. Join in. The water's fine.

However - Don't get to thinking that every question will result in a clear-cut convergence of opinions...........but maybe that's the nature of you "turn" guys. Has never happened in NeanderWorld, that I recall, and very rarely in ElectronBurner World.

Got any of your stuff to show us?

Best regards,

Kent
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ford View Post
    Purchasing a new lathe and have the choice between 110v and 220v for the same price. Will run a dedicated line to where the lathe will sit.

I am leaning towards the 220 option but would like opinions from others on why this may be the right way to go.

Thanks
    Jeff, the first thing I would ask is how is your shop wired? Does it have 240V receptacles? And if so, will the plug configuration on the lathe match your receptacle configuration? And if you need to do some rewiring in your shop or to the machine, do you have the skills and knowledge to do so?

If you have all that covered, what are the load specs? How many amps does it draw at 120V (or 240V)? If it's over 16 amps at 120V, then you might be moving to a 30A breaker. Breakers should typically not be loaded more than 80% of their rated ampacity. And of course, I'd need to know what the manufacturer recommends for breaker size. All these things should be taken into consideration before making your decision.

Jeff, I forgot to mention this in my previous post, but you will not be able to use a 120V GFCI protected circuit. The GFCI senses a short in the VFD of the lathe and will trip the breaker. I used up a life time supply of four letter words trying to find the problem.
    Joe

I vote to bite the bullet and install 220v. Running heavy equipment on 110v limits your ability to run things simultaneously like a DC, a sander, shopvac or even a grinder.

If you install 220, have them drop a couple outlets around your shop. The additional drops will hardly add to the cost, and you'll then have many options for relocation if you wish.

In theory and in most practice 110v machines and 220v machines consume the same power. However, if the run to your source is quite long, it can be more efficient and less lossy to run that higher power at a higher voltage than a higher current. When I used to run my 6" jointer on 110v, the lights on the same circuit would dim for a second or two. I'm not sure if that sag was detrimental to the motor of the jointer motor.