Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just another Half Back

Just another Half Back

Haven't really posted anything for a while. Just finishing up a couple of half backs and some other saws. Nothing special about this one, really. Just a 2XSmall ( 3" wide Hand) in Madrone burl with golden Mop saw fasteners. 10ppi with 20* fleam and 15* rake. It cut straight and to the line in 5/4 hard maple. So I guess I can't ask for any thing more. Adds an extra step in the process. But I decided to start using a chemical etch in the brass, high lighted with "brass black". Just a little different. Best wishes.
    IMG_2250.jpgIMG_2249.jpgIMG_2241.jpg

You do such beautiful work Ron. I really like the new etching.
    Fred

Ron that is a great looking saw. I don't think I could bring myself to use it if it were mine. I would bet it works like it looks with all the effort you put in to it. I really like the MOP nuts, very classy.
    Jim

You just keep getting better.

Kudos

Oh,do come along,old man!! Aren't MOP saw screws getting a bit precious!!

I like the handle shape.

Hi George. Well the new owner wanted them and she's the boss I always try to include a set of brass screws, in case the owner changes their mind.

I only let customers be the boss if their taste doesn't get out of hand. After all,my name is going to be on it forever. I've had to refuse to make guitars that had ridiculously shaped headstocks and other features the customer wanted.

Not saying the pearl nuts are THAT bad,but remember,YOUR name goes on the saw forever.

How do these saws compare to standard panel saws? I fell like I see very few half-backs in the wild.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Serra View Post
    How do these saws compare to standard panel saws? I fell like I see very few half-backs in the wild.

Thanks.
    Hi Matt,
    Different animals. You could never replace a good quality vintage panel saw with a half back.

10. What does a half back do better than any other saw?

I've got a few from Ron.

They handle really well, when you've got convoluted grain and little margin for error.
    I particularly like mine on stock around 6/4.

There's no denying that they're heavier, and that's a good thing.

The proviso is that modern steel is pretty hard, and can be a chore to sharpen -
    but you needn't do so as often.

I love seeing Ron's work. Gives me something to aspire to - I've promised myself I'll have one if I can raise my skills enough to deserve one. One day. One day.

Quote Originally Posted by bridger berdel View Post
    What does a half back do better than any other saw?
    In a nut shell....If you are talking about dedicated saws, nothing. What does a saw with a combination filing do better than a dedicated back saw? Nothing. It is more about your work practices and preferences. What/ whose saws do you use now??

Ron,

It's a work of art, very nice. I'll bet it works as well as it looks.

Stew

15. Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bontz View Post
    In a nut shell....If you are talking about dedicated saws, nothing. What does a saw with a combination filing do better than a dedicated back saw? Nothing. It is more about your work practices and preferences. What/ whose saws do you use now??
    I have a reasonably broad selection of saws accumulated over the last 30 or so years, ranging from leetle razor saws to a two man feller. What I use the most are backsaws between the size of disston (I think) #5 and dovetail size. a fairly coarse modern crosscut atkins handsaw also gets pretty regular use, because it's not so nice that I'm afraid to take it to jobsites, but still works just fine. What I do not have at all is a half-back.