Thread: Stanley 29

Stanley 29

Cleaning the garage today found it in one of the cabinets forgot I have it Can someone please tell me about
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

John,

Don't have one and have never used one, but it is a transition plane. It was developed by Leonard Bailey about the same time he developed the Bailey patent planes. Stanley bought the patent on the Bailey plane, and maybe the transition planes patent as well, and made a ton of the Bailey planes and quite a few of the transition planes as well.

It basically is a wooden bottom plane with a metal plane top. The "Blood and Gore" site for Stanley planes doesn't think much of them, implying they combine the worst features of both, but at least adds that they burn well. That said, some folks like them quite a bit, and say they can do well. At any rate, that's what it is.

There is a significant amount about them on the "Blood and Gore" site that has a lot about them.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 05-02-2015 at 1:20 PM.

Thanks Stew
    Thanks John

I 've been using it's longer relative, a Stanley No. 31. Much lighter than a Stanley No. 8c that I was using, by about half. Makes a decent Jointer. The 29 is a little shorter than the 24" of the 31. Might be able to use the 29 as a small jointer/Try plane. I think the 29 is about the same length as a Stanley #6???? Just make sure the sole is flat. I used a 22" try plane to flatten the #31. The joys of having a WOOD sole. Easier to keep flat.

Note: at one time, I had the Liberty Bell version, a #129. Like the 31's adjustments better. Liberty bells are a bit on the finicky side.

Well, I have a few, John, and find after some fettling they do work well. It just takes some TLC and they will perform much as an iron plane will, or a woodie. Can't say they are my favorites, but the ones I have work, and the lack of weight makes a difference if you are doing a lot of work. My sense is that they were a good idea at the time, but got overshadowed when the plane industry progressed sufficiently to produce cast iron planes efficiently. I prefer cast iron, and those are the ones I gravitate toward, but I have quite a few planes to choose from. Some folks say I have too many, and don't need all of them, but I beg to differ...

Spend some time with your transitional. It'll help you learn a lot about fettling, (and frustration most likely), but they make okay users once they are properly set up, just like the others. Some folks like them a lot.

Doug Trembath

I've been using transitional planes along side of my cast-iron Stanleys for a few years now, and I'm convinced that they are excellent tools for a lot of work. I think that the bad rep they have developed has been amplified by constant repetition, sometimes by people who have no experience with the tools, but remember that several companies manufactured millions of these planes over many decades, so they must have been good for something.

I've seen a lot of these planes in nasty looking condition, although sometimes they clean up to be better users than anyone would expect. They were much favored by carpenters for jobsite work because they are less fragile than cast iron planes, and they also have the advantages of being lighter and work with less friction than iron - but they got tossed around a lot, and they can look pretty bettered. Just remember, before you toss one of these onto the bonfire, that nobody has made these things in 75 years, nor is it likely that anyone will again. Clean it up and give it a try, it might surprise you.

Like mine well enough to make a avatar out of one
    IMAG0112.jpg
    24" long, with a 2-3/8" wide iron. Those curls will fly up up of there. As for the shorter ones...
    test track.jpg
    Sargent 3416. 16" long Jack plane. These type of planes wear a bit in front of and behind the mouth opening, making a hump at the opening. A few swipes with another plane to flatten the sole cures that right up. As for a "narrow mouth"? This is a Jack plane, thank you very much, and with a slight camber to the edge of the iron....needs a little wider mouth than a smoother would.
    BTW, they also made a few smoothers..
    side view.jpg
    ain't he cute? This is the Liberty Bell #122. It is also the same size as a Stanley #22 and a Stanley #3 iron bodied plane, with a 1-3/4" iron. Handy little fellow.

Thanks all I think I'm going to try and clean it up hanging up with the rest of my antique tools but I'll give it a shot once or twice to see how it feels and .
    Thanks John

John,

I went to the Blood and Gore site, and it is not the one where I read the negative comments about the transition planes. He does have a bit on adjusting them though, so it might be worth your time to look at what he says.

Stew

Stew I will do that thank you
    Thanks John