Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Tulipana View Post
I I have been so lucky to have a wonderful wife, ... allowing me to build a much bigger 32x56 new shop! I am going to separate the building into two rooms - one for my tractor, lawn equipment etc and the other 26X32 area into my wood/welding shop.
Kevin, I can't help with your dust collection quest (I use a 5hp ClearVue) but congratulations on your shop. It is so exiting when it all comes together!

It immediately struck me that your luck and wife and shop sound very similar to mine! With the blessing from my lovely bride of 45 years, I just built a 24x62 shop near my barn for wood, metal, and farm equipment. Office with WiFi, woodturning area, flat wood shop (saws, jointer, sanders, etc), a welding room, and two bays for tractor and other equipment. Like you, I planned to house the tractor and big mowers (and bobcat) there but I soon found the space way too useful and put in metal machining equipment along one wall and use the bays for vehicle and general maintenance. (So I've started on another larger but much simpler building for the equipment plus horse and beekeeping stuff.) The shop has concrete floor, 6" walls, plywood "paneling", and heat and air - since I'm elderly and feeble. :-) The welding room opens to an outside concrete deck for when the weather is nice. I ran 100 amps in underground copper.

All this has taken a while to build since I have a crew of one (me) but the space is SO nice, especially after working, er, playing in the garage for years. Based on my experience, I am certain you will enjoy your shop even more than you can now imagine!

I did make a small sound-insulated room for the dust collector and big air compressor - the access doors are in the vehicle bays to even further limit noise to the shop. I ran 6" pvc thru the trusses to tool drops. I picked the ClearVue after much reading and find it perfect for me. The "kit" went together in a day, the construction is quite sturdy, and I liked being able to watch what was going on inside when testing the system.

I'm sure any DC you choose will work well for you. Blowing the chips and dust outside is certainly the healthiest solution. Life is good!

JKJ