Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need amp for shop music

Need amp for shop music

My Yamaha RX-485 is dying. Sad day.

Any advise for a replacement? It has a tuner, but just the amp is needed. T

The above says 65 + 65W for power. I drive a pair of small Bose, and a pair of small Polk in a 20x20 shop.

I use an old desk top for iTunes, and radio; I run a Pioneer graphic equalizer.

Could get the Yamaha fixed--would rather just get something with little increase in power. Any experts out there please?

Thanks!
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Look for a shop that sells used stereo equipment .We have one here that reconditions old amps turntables and stuff

The new "Class D" or Hypex amplifiers are tiny, and potent.

They're also cheap, and nearly indestructible.

http://www.parts-express.com/cat/hom...amplifiers/106

This is like mine. I have it connected to a couple boom box speakers. Fills a 850 seat auditorium with sound. These things are amazing.
    I opened the back and disconnected the flashing light bar in it.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Mini...item5d3efdb65c
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    The new "Class D" or Hypex amplifiers are tiny, and potent.

They're also cheap, and nearly indestructible.

http://www.parts-express.com/cat/hom...amplifiers/106

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    This is like mine. I have it connected to a couple boom box speakers. Fills a 850 seat auditorium with sound. These things are amazing.
    I opened the back and disconnected the flashing light bar in it.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Mini...item5d3efdb65c
    Are you guys kidding me? I can replace the darn thing for $30?

I know very little about electronics. I tried to understand it, but hit a roadblock with the transistor concept. I mean, who has ever seen an electron?

Jim--which one would I need to at least equal the power of what I have now?

Myk-is the volume only controlled by remote?

Both Jim and Myk-there is a place for my computer (of course), graphic equalizer, and two pair of speakers to hook up?

Thanks
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

There is an AUX input for computer, or whatever. I plugged a bluetooth dongle into that port.
    You can insert an SD card with music on it.
    You can plug in a thumb drive with music on it.
    Has built in FM radio, although the reception may be a bit lacking.
    Some of the units allow for front and rear speakers.

I power it with a 12v printer power supply. I'll get a couple pictures of it posted. It's in my truck at the moment.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

OK. Here it is.
    Boombox front.jpg

And the back
    Boombox back.jpg

You can get real fancy making a box for it, or do what I did and cheap out.
    Oh. Mine was about $19, shipped.
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 05-05-2015 at 11:03 AM.

There is base, treble, and volume on the unit. The volume sets a RANGE that the remote adjusts.
    For $19 it's worth the price just to mess around with.

Blog Entries
    I have an old AV receiver that a friend gave me a few years ago that I use in the shop. As soon as that gives up the ghost, I was going to get one of these to drive a couple of shelf speakers.
    It looks like you could just plug the cell phone into it and run Pandora or something like that. For me, the shop doesn't require high end sound, just something break the silence. I like to listen to a ballgame or my favorite music. How could you go wrong for 20-30 bucks? It is good to know that it works well.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/...AFR/RX-485.pdf

Looks like the Yamaha cranked out a max of 65W at it's peak.
    I doubt one of the little amps will equal this.

I recommend a phone call to Parts Express tech support.
    They'll give you a straight answer.

If you prefer something more traditional, all in one home theater units are commonplace on Craigslist and auction sites.

Here's the unit I would recommend -
    http://www.parts-express.com/behring...-300w--248-749
    Last edited by Jim Matthews; 05-05-2015 at 3:37 PM.

My shop system consists of an old high end stereo equipment, that isn't cool enough for trendy audiophiles anymore. I have an Adcom preamp I grabbed off ebay for about $70. If you watch ebay, you can pick up a used power amp for about $100 (I got a Rotel 100 watt model) and you will have a killer set up. The class D amps will work, but it's like most things, you get what you pay for. I fully expect my top quality used gear to last a long long time. My speakers are 4 home made cabinets, with 2- 6.5" woofer/mids, and a tweeter. It blows me away how good it sounds. The music is very full and clear, without being loud (it can get loud when needed). For me, it makes working in the garage even sweeter. Good luck on your upgrade.

Justin

Blog Entries
    My question is why would anyone need that much audio power in a shop environment anyway? You're sawin' logs for goodness sakes! Lots of other ambient sounds as well. You don't need a fancy sound system. I like to have music in the shop, but when the price tag starts approaching the cost of a new tool. I'd rather have the new tool. Or is it just me?
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Not all of us can walk next door and hear World class music played by our neighbors.

For some of us, it's a "Dank Sanctorum" - the only place we can
    listen to 'old people music' without kids shrieking over it.

It's a matter of degree, really.
    All of us have a expense that
    others consider indulgent.

I'd watch craigslist, garage sales, and Goodwill. Our local Goodwill got the mid-90's Sony HT receiver I used to have in my shop. Another went to Craigslist after we moved to HDMI several years ago. I've got another in my basement which has a bad HDMI switching section but still sounds great. With all the technology changes in the last 15 years there is a lot of old equipment out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Not all of us can walk next door and hear World class music played by our neighbors.

For some of us, it's a "Dank Sanctorum" - the only place we can
    listen to 'old people music' without kids shrieking over it.

It's a matter of degree, really.
    All of us have a expense that
    others consider indulgent.
    What the heck is a Dank Sanctorum?

Is it a place where I can escape my worldly problems, and get into a meditative state of mind, and loose myself in a Zen type effort, whereby I can be most assured that no one will intrude via any means, all the while enjoying my 60-70s rock and roll, et al kinds of music-beautifully reproduced with all the rich tonality and depth of a concert hall?
    David