Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Lingerie Chest started and your strategy wanted

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    It seems like a lot of planning for little actual progress. However the basic carcase was glued up after stopped rebated were planed at the rear, and the strategy for making the sliding dovetails in the curved sides from inside the front leg/frame was finalised.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...ngForward.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

p.s. anyone reading this stuff?

Yes - reading along and very fascinated. I especially appreciate the links you provide to the details because when I'm at work, you 'attached' photobucket images (I assume they are photobucket or something similar anyway) are blocked by our IT department. I can see everything on your website. Great progress. Now that the 'easy' part is done, I'm really looking forward to the drawer fabrication and fitting

Blog Entries
    Coming along beautifully I'm always hopeful that monday will show the results of your weekend!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Thanks guys.

Pat, anything written for my website includes images imbedded in the article. I do have a Photobucket account, but these images do not part of the articles.

Brian, I always try to get what is done written after the weekend - when it is still fresh in my mind. Here's hoping that there is something worth reporting after this weekend.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Derek,

I'm a little behind so apologize if this comment is not in sequence.

I really appreciate your Comments/pictures on repairing the separating joint in the panel for a couple reasons: I routinely experience similar situations that call for a do-over. I feel better knowing even An incredibly talented expert like you has the occasional need for a do over as well.

Secondly, I don't have much experience with Hide Glue - I've always been put off by the messy glue pot(Which I assumed was sort of a requirement). In your thread, I could see how using the Hide glue made the repair much easier. I was wondering if you could help me with a couple hide Glue related questions:

What are the applications that you use HIde glue for most frequently?

Do you make your own, or buy off-the-shelf pre-made hide glue (I believe in the State's Titebond offers boittled liquid HG)?

Can you use HG at room temperature, or is it a better idea to routinely use it heated?

I know these questions are bit off topic, But really respect your experience/insight and very much appreciate your advice.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to share your work! Your descriptions and photographs are fantastic and I always learn lots from your posts!

Best, Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for the kind words - exaggerated though they may be.

I am really not an expert on glues. My experience with hide glue is relatively short, just over the last couple of years. And then it has only been the liquid variety.

I have not had bad experiences with Titebond Liquid Hide Glue, although some have been disappointed. I am only now about to start using hot hide glue, and have purchased a wax heater for this purpose - have a look on eBay for a small pot that melts wax for leg waxing. They are ideal for hot hide glue.

One of the advantages of the Liquid HG is that it has a long open time. This helps when putting together a carcase as there is time to adjust sides for square. Hot hide glue sets rapidly and should help limit the number of clamps needed.

As you noted, hide glue is reversable. I use it where ever this may be necessary. I do not use mechanical joints, such as biscuits or dominos, but if I did then I would use Titebond II.

Others here will likely chip in with their observations.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,

You must have a very special wife to warrant this project.

Sliding Dovetails for the Lingerie Chest

Below is the work completed over the past weekend. The Lingerie Chest is progressing steadily.

The strategy for the sliding dovetails into curved sides looks to be successful. The strategy was necessitated by the design, which required the housings to be made from inside the front legs, rather than from outside, as is usual.

There is also a novel method for creating the sliding dovetails using an easy-to-make dovetail plane (everyone will make one!).

The article is here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...etails-LC.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Coming along very nicely!

Great work as usual Derek. I really do appreciate the way you document your work and thoughts so thoroughly, but I do have to say that I got a bit lost on the concern over fitting the sliding dovetails "from the rear". I didn't follow the reason that it was important that they be fit from the rear. I thought at first when it was mentioned that you would be doing stopped dovetails (not through dovetails) so that the front edge hid the dovetail. But I see that you made through dovetails and therefore I don't follow the fitting them from the rear strategy. Can you elaborate on that a bit. By the way, this is going to be a very impressive cabinet when you are done. Really, really sweet work

Derek really very good work! I was looking at this and it made me think that a hundred years from now, or maybe two hundred, if someone needs to make a repair they will be thinking of "How in the world did he do that?". I think that you and Brian perform the most interesting joinery I have ever seen. It is very good of you to share the thought process and the work itself with everyone.
    Jim

Derek I look for your posts here and I also go to in the wood shop every few days to check for other items you may have added. Thanks again.
    jim

The Proof of the Pudding ...

Below is the latest installment of the Lingerie Chest build. I get the chance to test out whether the strategy to build the sliding dovetail housings from the rear of the carcase for the front of the carcase works or not.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...hePudding.html

I know that there are no questions asked, but please feel free to comment or offer your thoughts how you would do it differently.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 08-03-2015 at 12:43 PM.

Blog Entries
    Cool, awesome to see the cabinet with the drawer blades in. What do you have in mind for the drawers to slide on? How will you attach those parts?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Great work as usual Derek. I really do appreciate the way you document your work and thoughts so thoroughly, but I do have to say that I got a bit lost on the concern over fitting the sliding dovetails "from the rear". I didn't follow the reason that it was important that they be fit from the rear. I thought at first when it was mentioned that you would be doing stopped dovetails (not through dovetails) so that the front edge hid the dovetail. But I see that you made through dovetails and therefore I don't follow the fitting them from the rear strategy. Can you elaborate on that a bit. By the way, this is going to be a very impressive cabinet when you are done. Really, really sweet work
    Now I see that you are doing stopped dovetails for the front leg. Fitting them from the rear as you have determined is a great solution. Once again, thanks for the documentation. Beautiful work.

Hello Derek,

It is wonderful to see the cabinet assembled. The proportions are lovely--your careful design work has paid off. One question- the back panel is impressive! Will it remain one panel or will it be divided into 2 or 3?

Cheers,
    Chris C.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra