Thread: ★☆★ need your help - new yankee workshop on-line video schedule ★☆★

Post ★☆★ need your help - new yankee workshop on-line video schedule ★☆★

I am a big New Yankee Workshop fan as I know that many of you are too. I can not tell you how much I have learned about woodworking from Norm Abrams in his television series, the New Yankee Workshop, over the years it has played. As many of you know, the series is no longer shown on television so the only way we fans have to see Norm in action is through the on-line videos shown on the NYW website. The series has ended and they are restarting showing the videos however they are starting at Season 12. By doing this, we fans will miss out on everything from Season 1 through Season 11.

I am posting this requesting your support in a letter writing/phone/email campaign to get the producers of the on-line videos to restart showing the NYW at Season 1 so we can see everything one more time before we die.

Here is a copy of the letter I wrote to NYW and urge you to take 2 minutes out of your day to write or call to them also requesting they restart the on-line videos at Season 1 and to go through Season 21. Here is their contact information:

The New Yankee Workshop
    151 Blair Park Road,
    Williston, VT 05495

call: 800-892-0110
    fax: 802-655-2730
    email:
    orders@newyankee.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent: Sunday, May 03, 2015 8:37 AM
    To: 'orders@newyankee.com'
    Subject:
    ☆★ CONCERNS OVER SHOW SCHEDULE ☆★

First, I would like to say that I get great pleasure out of watching the New Yankee Workshop and now that the show is no longer playing on television, the On-line Video Service is the only way I have to enjoy watching and learning woodworking from Norm. As a disabled American Veteran, this is one of the few pleasures I have left in life so it is very important to me as I am sure to many others worldwide.

Second, I have some concerns over the online video schedule:

a. You currently are showing the upcoming schedule as:
    May 4:
    #9812 Roll Top Desk
    May 11:
    #0001 Garage Workshop Part 1
    May 18:
    #0001 Garage Workshop Part 2
    May 25:
    #0003 Planter Boxes and Bench

I understand that the Roll Top Desk was a two part episode so are you not planning on showing the second part? That would be a terrible injustice to the fans of the show to not show the second episode of such an important project.

b. You show the series restarting on episode #0001 Garage Workshop Part 1 which is really Season 12, Episode 1. Why not start at the beginning, Season 1? By following this schedule, it appears that Season 1 through Season 11 will never be shown in the On-line Video Service you provide. This would be a terrible injustice for the show fans throughout the world.

In summary, I urge you to reconsider your schedule and restart the On-line Video Service at Season 1 then continue in order all the way through the series to Season 21. By doing this, more people will be exposed to the wonderful work that Norm and all the New Yankee Workshop staff did over the years. This will result in more orders for the plans and videos you sell. I would hope that you have the foresight to see that this would be a win-win situation for all of us.

Thank you for your consideration,
    Gary Salisbury

Last edited by Gary Salisbury; 05-03-2015 at 12:13 PM. Reason: typo

I don't have to worry about it, I have the entire series and can watch it any time I want.

Why do they have to have a schedule for on-line video? Can't they just have all the videos for all the seasons available all the time?

I don't share your enthusiasm for Norm, but for sure we all should keep your name on file in case of need. Your letter is to the point, and hopefully will cause them to reconsider.

Blog Entries
    Go to You-Tube and search for Norm Abrams.......
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Where does it show that the series is "restarting"? I wouldn't go by the numbering. I'm pretty sure I've seen some of the older videos via that site. The schedule hasn't really been in any kind of order; it's seemed more random to me.

Brian: My guess is that they don't have all of them up for streaming because they want you to buy the plans and videos. This kind of creates a "limited supply" type of concept. Plus their bandwidth is probably limited, although I guess they could upload them somewhere else. But as Von pointed out, it's quite easy to find a lot of NYW videos on YouTube. Just ignore any copyright issues that might creep into the back of your mind.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

I think they show a different selected video each week. I don't check it regularly but is it possible they are just showing Season 12 now and over time will cover most of the episodes?
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

I just googled 'New Yankee Workshop episode 1'...........it's on YouTube. He is making a medicine cabinet with a Sears RAS, a Shopsmith for a drill press, and a wobble blade.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I just googled 'New Yankee Workshop episode 1'...........it's on YouTube. He is making a medicine cabinet with a Sears RAS, a Shopsmith for a drill press, and a wobble blade.
    Yep, it's amazing how far he progressed tool-wise thanks to the sponsors. I still like the TimeSaver Mega-Widebelt sander because you know every home woodworker can fit one of those into their garage shop.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Youtube is your friend. I searched for season 1, 2 and 3 and looks like all 13 shows of each season is there.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    Sorry, but what is with all the (annoying) stars in the thread title? A new option?
    NOW you tell me...