Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which cabinet saw should I keep? Pics

Which cabinet saw should I keep? Pics

I'm new to woodworking and recently purchased a Delta cabinet saw. Shortly afterwards I came across another cabinet saw made by Jet that I couldn't resist buying. My dilemma is which one should I keep? The Delta is a Platinum Edition with a Biesemeyer fence. The Jet is a Model #JTAS-10-1 with an Xacta fence. Both have a 3hp, single phase motor, extension table and are right tilt. Other than color and badging they look about the same. The fit and finish of the Jet seems a little better by my novice eyes. The Jet fence and extension table came in the original boxes and were never used. Here are pics of the two saws.
    Cabinet Saws 002.jpg

Cabinet Saws 001.jpg

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Keep the USA made Delta; although the company itself has gone down the tubes recently, the Unisaw is the better machine.

Yeah keep the uni
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

The Delta Unisaw

Easy. USA iron over Chinese? Keep the delta. It likely has a far better built motor if nothing else. Swap fences if you want.

If your looking for an easy sale then that would be the Uni,lots of people wants them.Jet,well that may take longer to sell.But,if I had both and wanted the best for myself then like others that would be the Uni,heck the fence by its self cost ya around 400.But I'm sure there's a Jet fan someplace,good luck with your decision.Both looks good,I can see why you jump on them----Carroll

Likely the Uni although I'm not sure they were all USA at that point but resale is better. Check condition and measure runout and check the tables and motor. Condition trumps model for that comparison. Dave

Keep both, use jet as the outfeed table and for dado blades I'm only half kidding.

Sell 'em both and get a Grizzly
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Since everyone is favoring the Delta I will just muddy the waters a little and say that I worked in a shop which had an older Jet of, I believe, that same model and similar vintage (based on paint color), and it was a solid and reliable user, well made and precise enough for joinery cutting. Currently I'm using an older Unisaw so I like those too, but the Jet is nothing to sniff at.

They are both good saws, but I prefer left tilt, so I would sell both and look for a left tilting saw. Better yet, get you a sliding table saw.

In this case, I'd keep the Unisaw.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carlson View Post
    Keep both, use jet as the outfeed table and for dado blades I'm only half kidding.
    That's not a bad idea except for the space it would take up.

I had a chance to take a closer look at both saws this afternoon and there's little left to doubt that one is a copy of the other with a few exceptions. The cast iron extensions on the Jet are a little wider and the top seems to have a slightly smoother surface. Although the motors look the same they have different mounts. I'm sure that's done to muddy up the waters if replacement is necessary. The Jet top flanges where bolts pass through are slightly thicker but the size and number of bolts are less. The fence rails are slightly thicker on the Unisaw. The Jet has a 4" dust collection port as standard. The Unisaw has a large rectangular opening that needs to be converted to a dust port. What were they thinking? The Jet has a workable latch for the motor cover. The one on the Unisaw is an embarrassment. I see no difference in the Xacta or Biesemeyer fences. Just some observations.

Maybe another good reason to keep one saw over the other is parts availability. Would Unisaw parts be more available in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carlson View Post
    I'm not kidding about it. .
    Everyone comes up with some type of an outfeed system, and for the money, it's hard to build something better than that Jet.
    I have two table saws that sit at 90 degrees to each other, with a shaper in between the two. One is generally set for ripping and the other crosscutting. It's very nice to not be changing blades, or resetting jigs and fixtures during a project. When not in use the three are covered with 3/4" plywood,making a very big, stable, bench for non-woodworking stuff.

Unless you need to recover some $$$$ for other stuff, keep them both. You won't regret it.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I would definitely keep Both. You have to have an out feed anyway. Might as well Keep a Dado on one.