Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which cabinet saw should I keep? Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bickley View Post
    You could sell both of them and get a good left-tilt saw.....
    with a riving knife.

I'll make do with what I have for now. I have a lot to learn before I'm able to take advantage of a more advanced machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bickley View Post
    You could sell both of them and get a good left-tilt saw.....
    Or just move the Beisemeyer tube farther to the left. Dave

If you have the room build two small projects, one on one saw, one on the other. And see which one YOU like better

John

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    I'll make do with what I have for now. I have a lot to learn before I'm able to take advantage of a more advanced machine.
    Steve, to be sure, the saws you have are about as advanced as table saws get. A riving knife is not an added complexity for the user- in fact it's more convenient than a splitter and far safer since it can stay on the saw for pretty much all cuts. Left tilt is no more complex or advanced than a right tilt saw, the blade just tilts in another direction. But it's safer for some cuts, because you want to tilt the blade AWAY from the fence in order to avoid pinching the workpiece and causing kickback. On a right tilt saw, you can put the fence on the left side of the blade, but you're usually limited to pretty narrow cuts.

So, depending on your budget, I agree that you should sell these saws and get a newer one that tilts left and has a riving knife. If you bought both saws but only have the budget to keep one, then you may not have the choice.

But it's not a decision about complexity. Only european style sliding table saws are more complex and have a learning curve.

6. Keep the Unisaw. Parts? If that is a right tilt Unisaw, the insides of that saw have changed very little since its debut in 1939. Parts are plentiful if you look in the right places. I had one of those blue Jet saws some years ago until I got into OWWM. Bought a 1968 Unisaw and restored it and sold the Jet immediately. Have since sold the Unisaw and bought and restored a 1972 Powermatic 66 and will never part with it. In IMHO, the 66 is the best 10" saw ever made, but the Unisaw is no slouch. It's a great machine. Both are miles ahead of a Jet. Just my 2 cents worth......