Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

4 May 2015

Good Morning Everyone,
    It has been as exhausting week here at the house. Work has been challenging to say the least and the commission I took to build a general work table for a law office in Little Rock, AR has turned out to be a challenge of all my skill in teaching my 2 youngest son's how to work with wood. Thanks to a delayed schedule with the remodeling, I don't have to have the table top done until Friday morning of this week. Sanding starts tonight, then stain, then tomorrow night starts the clear-coat. I will have this done by Friday morning.

Joe and Daniel standing by the top that they have been working with me on.
    law-office-table-Joe-Daniel.jpg

Cooked out Saturday evening for the first time this year, played bass at church on Sunday, and back to the grind-stone today.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Working on some leaky plumbing fittings. Said work done by a licensed plumber in a deficient manner just a few years ago.

Blog Entries
    It must have been the weekend for plumbing issues. Our water heater seems to have sprung a small leak (caught by the drip pan). The fittings and pipes all appear to be fine. So a replacement WH may be in the cards.

Two boards on the fence blew off and the dog got out but was immediately captured by our neighbor. That was a quick fix but it emphasized the need for a full replacement with a concrete block wall. I tried sourcing 8/4 curly walnut for some table legs but struck out on that.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Most of Saturday afternoon was taken up attending a girls' softball game and then spending some time at the gym. I found enough time Saturday morning and yesterday afternoon to build a drawer for the tabletop glass case I've been trying to complete. The drawer is the last of the construction on this project. Now there's sanding, finishing, and installing hardware and glass.

Wrapped up the weekend with some dinner on the grill.
    Chuck Taylor

Ooooh...Oooooh....Ooooh... I was actually in the shop Saturday morning making a mess! LOL While it was milling some double-bead casing for a friend, at least it was woodworking. And I have another tack trunk commission potentially coming in, so that means more shop time. Meanwhile, I really should get back to "finishing" up the new cabinet doors I made for a minor kitchen refresh I'm haphazardly in the middle of.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Plumbing, electrical, dogs. Sounds like we all had the same weekend. I actually moved something ahead by replacing my sliding saw's long pigtail plug with a Hubbell inlet plug and added a twist receptacle to the pigtail. This added versatility by essentially getting an expensive extension cord (50' 4 wire/8 awg) for free. Used a bit of 1/4" fiberglass to fabricate the inlet backplate. Pictures are worth a thousand words.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 05-04-2015 at 3:29 PM.

Glued the transom on a frostbiting boat. Rails are next. Hung the boat vertically so the epoxy would be easier to control. Then turned it upside down (panoramic shot) for a similar reason. Came out about as nice as I could have hoped. May be politically incorrect to say it, but Honduran mahogany is the most beautiful wood to work with. Planing, sawing, machining, sanding. Just works so beautifully.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 05-04-2015 at 3:50 PM.

Spent a good deal of time in the yard. Spring time in Michigan and everything needs attention at once. Had about 90% success getting an old shrub stump out of the ground...finally got it to give way today. Clearing a large overgrown area for a rose garden.

Found some time Saturday evening to make a bit of progress on a table project. Got the tenons cut (my latest learning experience)...they just need some refining.

Tenon.JPG

A few shrimp on the BBQ to finish up the weekend.

I spent all Saturday digging 200' of ditch from my house to the future shop/barn. Ran water, electric, and heat lines (I have an outdoor wood stove) all at the same time. Now I'm just about done filling it all back in.
    Profanity is the futile effort of a feeble mind, to exert itself forcefully.

Last weekend was spent cleaning, rearranging, moving stuff I want to keep to the storage facility and throwing out the rest. I have a contractor coming Wednesday to spray-foam the shop ceiling, partition and stairway walls(basement workshop) for soundproofing, a Mother's Day gift for the wife. 750 sft. of accumulated stuff has been jammed into a 150 sft. storage room with the machinery left where it is(to be moved around as needed, thank God for mobile bases and casters).

After he's done, the HVAC contractor comes in to replace the 25-year-old heat-pump with a dual-fuel system, the plumber for a new relocated water heater, and my framing crew to create a real laundry room and office. Then there's the electrician(myself), and the drywall sub to hang the the walls and the ceilings on RC-1 channel. Then I get to go back to electrician to trim out and put on my trim carpenter and painters caps to finish.

I'm getting too old for this stuff!

Bill

Saturday, drove 400 miles w/ #2 Son. Pick up #3 Son, drive 300 miles. Check into hotel. Go to Carl's Jr next to hotel, they're closed.... grrrr.. Cross street to Del Taco. Stomach is placated.

Sunday, drive around SoCal, checking out beach, seeking Tiki torches, handling arrangements on a big boat. Had an extended interesting conversation with a mechanical engineer from Chattanooga. Swung by a Rockler store that happened to be in our path. Back to the hotel, along with #1 Son, #1 Daughter and #1 Hanger-On. Played a round of Settlers of Cataan in the hotel lobby, then all and sundry beat feet to bed.

Monday. Goof off a little, then collect #1 Daughter, drop off #1 and #2 Sons. Back to hotel, then to beach as sunset approaches.

Walk #1 Daughter down to beach. Leave her on beach next to #1 Hanger On. #1 Son performs ceremony. #1 Daughter now married to #1 Son-In-Law, formerly #1 Hanger On.

Rest of weekend inconsequential.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Blog Entries
    Congratulations John! Now that is a weekend!
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"