Thread: Finish for Outdoor Workbench

Finish for Outdoor Workbench

Hi everyone, over the weekend, I scored a solid beech workbench, but sadly I have no space indoors to house it. It is a bit dirty and I was thinking of scraping some of it down and then applying a finish. I live in California and the worse the bench might see is some rain, what would be the best can I put on it to help protect it from the elements yet keep it with the right surface texture for work holding?

CC

Depending where you live in California, the sun could be your worst enemy. I would suggest a water proof cover and keep it shaded. Take the cover off when you want to use it and shoo away the black widows and go to work.

I think the best finish would be a tarp

Hi Christian,

I am with the other two guys. I don't think there is any finish that will stand up to the elements and protect the bench for a very long time. When it comes to clear finishes, Spar Varnish is almost certainly the best, and if you get 4 years out of it you have done very well, and in reality I don't think you will get that long.

Stains and oils won' hold up for a long time either. I don't think you will get more than a year with an exterior stain, based on my experience, maybe two years for an oil, but I don't know. That may be a stretch.

One of the problems is keeping moisture out of places like cracks and dog holes, out of the vises, etc. I don't think you can keep moisture out of places like that no matter what you do.

Paint will hold up longer than any of the clear finishes, because it stops the UV which will degrade finishes.

I am, again, with the other guys. If you want to keep it nice after you refinish it, cover it up with some sort of water proof cover.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 05-04-2015 at 9:30 PM.

Get a grill cover with ties at the bottom.

Put some kind of insect repellent on the legs.

http://www.amazon.com/Hentex-Cover-W...N%3DB00SZ5ADN6

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Get a grill cover with ties at the bottom.

Put some kind of insect repellent on the legs.

http://www.amazon.com/Hentex-Cover-W...N%3DB00SZ5ADN6
    And add something to the bottom of the legs to elevate them off the ground. I'm thinking some sort of plastic or some other non-porous material you could tack to the feet and remove later if need be. But that way if it rains, the legs aren't sitting in water.

I am with the rest of them and would go with a cover, Here in Iowa I would make it a hard cover out of plywood or something like that and then somehow elevate it so that air can flow around it much like stickering wood for drying. Also angle it slightly so water will shed.Because we have high humity in the summer and snow and below zero tempatures in the winter keeping it elevated would stop mold and mildo. And because our temps can range anywhere between 100 degrees above and 30 degess below zero with humity changes I would use a oil finish so the finish would crack. It is also the easist to repair. Sometimes bench tops get stuff on them that can stain them for example a card scraper that get moisture on it and the stain is easier to remove if you wish to reto the top every once in a while.

Someone else also stated to elevate the legs, Rockler has, can't think of the name, wheels do a work bench can be moved around, with a foot. the lift tof he elevation issue is taken care of.

My answer is for here in Iowa and not where you live but if it would help here under these conditions they cant hurt you. I would also consider making it so that it could be used as table for intertaining out doors also.
    Tom

Jim, insect repellant on the legs may sound strange, but I know of one instance where bees built a hive of sorts under a draped grill cover. Much frantic activity one warm afternoon...

I built some outdoor cabinet doors a few years back,did a lot of research on what finish to use.I used Waterlox,never had any problems so far, they are due for another coat soon.Problem is,is that we live in California,but not all is lost as you can get it in certain counties,not Orange or Los Angeles. I know it is available in San Diego.

So out of curiosity, what would be the downside to using an Epoxy Sealer and Marine varnish, I still plan on using some kind of tarp or overhead protection and elevating the bench off the floor, I'm just trying to do everything I can short of building a roof over the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Castillo View Post
    So out of curiosity, what would be the downside to using an Epoxy Sealer and Marine varnish, I still plan on using some kind of tarp or overhead protection and elevating the bench off the floor, I'm just trying to do everything I can short of building a roof over the thing.

I asked similar question, and a wiser man told me to use Minwax Wood Hardener on the legs (bench turned upside down), it easily seeps into the wood. The recommendation, as I remember it, was to create some sort of "dam" with painters tape around the perimeter of each leg, about 6" up from the bottom (actually 6" down from the top since you need the legs to be upside down) and pour the product until the legs can take no more.

The anecdote was that he did this on a picnic table and everything rotted out but the four portions of the legs seemed hardly damaged.

When I build mine (thinking about the Morovian BTW) I will use a grill cover and treat the bottom of the legs with that.

Pedro

PS: Credit to Dave Anderson for the idea

Clear finishes do not hold up well outdoors. I would just use an oil finish of your choice on the top and plan on some yearly maintenance on that. The legs I would paint. Do a first class job on the paint job. Use the right primer to go with the paint. Use a top grade exterior paint and several coats. Get the bottom of the legs well sealed up. Get the legs away from ground contact. Put a cover on it, use some kind of support to keep the cover from contacting the top and give it some slope to drain water. Be sure to ventilate the cover so the air circulation can dry out any moisture that gets inside. This is similar to maintaining a wooden boat except for the top. When the top needs maintenance do it right away. You should be able to enjoy your bench for a long time if you maintain the finishes.
    Jim