Thread: Is there a name for this connector hardware piece?

Is there a name for this connector hardware piece?

Folks - I've been wanting to make a small shade pergola for my deck, and Lee Valley has a kit now for a canopy which looks like just what I've got in mind. There is a pic on the product page with a pergola which the wife likes, so that's what I'm making.

My question: There is some sort of connector at the post/horizontal piece junction, looks like a wide "L". Look at the upper right picture.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...52&cat=52&ap=1

Is there a name for this thing? Anyone know where it can be obtained? I know LV has a different sort of post-top connector, but that takes only a 2x horizontal member, and we like the look of the 16/4.

Thanks,

Ken

Blog Entries
    I think if you Google 'framing connectors' and look at the 'Images' results you may find a direction to pursue.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Simpson Strong-Tie used to have a catalog that was titled "Do-It-Yourself Construction." It had all of their connectors that would be used by the home owner doing the kind of projects that would be done around the house. They still have the connectors, just look at their web site and find what you want. Local building supply will carry most of them. HD and Lowes have some in stock.

Looks like a plain old 'L' bracket to me. You might try your local Home Depot. In the building materials section they usually have a display of common construction brackets.

Or, google Simpson connectors.

EDIT: Looks like Lonnie types faster than me.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 05-04-2015 at 1:10 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Platt View Post
    Folks - I've been wanting to make a small shade pergola for my deck, and Lee Valley has a kit now for a canopy which looks like just what I've got in mind. There is a pic on the product page with a pergola which the wife likes, so that's what I'm making.

My question: There is some sort of connector at the post/horizontal piece junction, looks like a wide "L". Look at the upper right picture.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...52&cat=52&ap=1

Is there a name for this thing? Anyone know where it can be obtained? I know LV has a different sort of post-top connector, but that takes only a 2x horizontal member, and we like the look of the 16/4.

Thanks,

Ken
    Lonnie's got it. Get a Simpson catalog and you should be able to find what you need.

http://www.strongtie.com/ftp/fliers/F-DECKCODE13.pdf

Here is the link for their complete catalog in pdf form.
    http://www.strongtie.com/ftp/catalog...5/c-c-2015.pdf

Thanks folks. I don't know why it didn't occur to me to check Simpson stuff; I guess I was overthinking it. Appreciate the help.

Ken

I went there, selected the default "ALL PRODUCTS", and the very first one, under the letter "A", is....

wait for it...

A ANGLE!!!!! No size given, but...

Upon looking closer... It looks like you want either an A21 or A23.

Or something else in the "A" series, like maybe A44.
    >>> Je Suis Charlie <<<