Thread: Circular Saw Blade Guard is Stuck

Circular Saw Blade Guard is Stuck

Hello,
    I have an old, not used much, Craftsman circular saw. Recently the blade guard has stopped lifting up as i push into the cut. I don’t see anything stuck in the bottom to block it. It’s not really safe to use right now since I have to lift the guard to expose the blade into the cut.
    Any suggestions for troubleshooting/repair?
    Thanks …

Blog Entries
    The guard probably needs lubricated. Remove the blade, clean away all the sawdust and lubricate the slide portion of the guard where it attaches to the motor housing. You will need to rock the guard back and forth adding lubricant until it moves freely.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Can't help you with this. I've been using Skillsaw 77s for 48 years with the guard fixed in the retracted position. It's an old framer's deal (had to do with cutting in diagonal braces)and I do not advise it. But then again I've never had an "incident".

My gut says it's packed with crud. I'd start by shooting it full of WD-40. If that don't break it. Take it a part and clean it..

I bought one of those Craftsman skil saws one time, and after a couple days the guard started sticking. A guy who worked for me sawed with it and cut a gash in his leg. I threw it away, bought a couple Makita saws, and never had that problem again. Those makita circular saws last practically forever.

Let's see, all metal Sears 7-1/4 circular saw? Yep, been using mine for a while now. Guard did want to stick for a while....WD40, and wiggle the heck out of it. Lots of "mud" finally came out. Been running good ever since. The spring on these is a little on the stiff side, anyway. Heavy saw, too. I seem to like it a lot better than those new-fangled plastic housed things out there. Just for good measure, there is also a SKIL Home Shop saw in the 6-1/2" size, with the green metal case. As soon as I can find a decent blade with a diamond knockout, that saw will also get a lot of use. What seemed to make the guards stick on these saws was cutting a lot of treated lumber. WET treated lumber. Sawdust turned to mud, then dried out in there. WD40, or even a spray for cleaning brakes will do.