Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first time cutting acrylic and getting sawtooth linies

first time cutting acrylic and getting sawtooth linies

Hi Gentlemen and Ladies

I'm getting these sawtooth marks when I'm cutting acryl with the laser, normally it is used for fabric so this is the first time I see it. Whats wrong with the laser?
    Attached Images Attached Images

What laser do you have? Make, model, power? What settings did you use?

It would be most helpful if you took a minute and edited your signature to include all the information about your machine. It'll make answers a lot easier.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Now I have editet my signatur. But it is a G.Weike Laser LC1612 singel head, 100w with a airpump and chiller 5000

The setting I used was for cutting speed 20 and power 70. hope this helps

I can't speak for the Chinese machines, but I've never seen a Western machine that vector cuts at 20 speed (other than maybe in a straight line).

Someone with those machines will chime in and help, but I'd slow it down to 1/2 or 1/3, or even 1/4 of what you have and see if it gets better, if you're looking for something to do while waiting for someone else to answer.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

70% of 100 watts is a lot of power for something that thin, 3 or 4 mm? There are settings for slowing the speed down on a curve at least in my software. I am thinking like Steve/Scott do a little trial and error and do keep a log book.
    On my 40 watt machine I cut 6 mm, at 95% and about 2 to 5 mm/Sec speed.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

The lines are the pain of working with acrylic!

I would try going much slower and check your vacuum/air assist to make sure it isn't to strong and cooling the acrylic to fast.
    Epilog Helix 60 watt, Epilog 36EXT 75 watt, 2 Rotary Attachments, 3 Jaw Chuck Rotary Attachment, Kern 52x100 400 watt putting out 580 watts, Photobrasive Laser Mask, Rayzist 1924 Blast Cabinet, ikonics blast cabinet, SR3000 Resist, Epson 1400 Printer, 1 Paragon Glass Kiln, Covington Wet Belt Sander/Polisher, 2 JDS Air Filtration Units, 14" Stone Saw, and A Few Other Things I Forgot About!

Heya Dann,

There are a few possibles....

Firstly try increasing power and speed, not by much and not in ratio. If that's 3mm acrylic (1/8") then try 22mm per second at 85% power, also reduce the air from the air assist, what's happening is the *heat* in the cut is being pulled / blown away by the air jet leading to the striations you are seeing.

DC lasers in general don't have the ability to vary the frequency (other than on some VERY expensive versions) so you won't be able to trickle around like the Western made machines do to get a good finish so you are left with combinations or air/power/speed to play with.

Braden above ^^^^^ was pretty much spot on right away, too much air..not enough heat

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Look at the photos closer guys, that's not air, that's speed. The top left has chunks missing. That's not being able to interpolate fast enough, not air.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Look at the photos closer guys, that's not air, that's speed. The top left has chunks missing. That's not being able to interpolate fast enough, not air.
    That could be flashback nicks from the honeycomb. I cut at 25mm/sec without interpolation issues - I don't remember what the limit is, I think it is higher than then "wiggles" limit.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

I think Rich is right Scotty, they look like backscatter?
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    That could be flashback nicks from the honeycomb. I cut at 25mm/sec without interpolation issues - I don't remember what the limit is, I think it is higher than then "wiggles" limit.
    Or is it melted pieces coming off from to much heat? 70 watts on 3 mm acrylic is a lot.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    I think Rich is right Scotty, they look like backscatter?
    That's a massive nick then. I've cut more acrylic than I can count and I've never seen chunks missing from flashback and it's no where else around it. Nicks from flashback are typically uniform around the work, in various places.

Screen Shot 2015-05-04 at 9.19.02 PM.jpg

Of first off I'm guessing your are using cast acrylic. Black does a similar thing. Generaly you will notice small vertical marks, But those look kind of bad. Try cutting clear and see what happens.

Another problem would be be the acrylic it-self. You see colored acrylic has extras in it. So it's less acrylic. Depending on the brand of acrylic and the dyes they use can the flame polish look that we look for.
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt

was the part a bitmap image that you traced around for the outline to cut after raster engraving? A jagged edge from a enlarged bitmap image could give you the rough shape due to many unneeded nodes being in the vector circle cutout. If this was in face a vector circle you created and placed yourself then not likely. I have saw tracings of bitmaps produces extreme amounts of nodes that were hard to see unless zoomed in on where what appeared to be more or less a smooth line at normal size turned into a ragged mess when zoomed in on.
    I think a close look at your vector line in Corel Draw might show the vector line itself possibly the problem.
    Universal Laser ILS 12.150D (48"x24") 135 watts total, with 60 watt and 75 watt laser cartridges. Class 4 Module (pass thru ability). Photograv 3.0, Corel X6, Adobe Design Standard CS4 Suite, Engrave Lab laser Version 8, Melco Single Head Comercial Embroidery Machine, The Magic Touch System with Oki C711WT printer, and Graphtec CE6000-60 plotter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    That's a massive nick then. I've cut more acrylic than I can count and I've never seen chunks missing from flashback and it's no where else around it. Nicks from flashback are typically uniform around the work, in various places.

Screen Shot 2015-05-04 at 9.19.02 PM.jpg
    It will be the bed rails brother, Chinese machines like the weike have single slat rails rather than a bed as such so flashback only tends to happen as the beam crosses them.
    You did what !