Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: first time cutting acrylic and getting sawtooth linies

Are you able to adjust the import tolerance of your vector objects? If the edges look like an U.S. quarter, it might not be generating enough points.

The nicks look like flashback from the honeycomb.

There's a setting in my lasersoft program called 'curve discrete length'--
    curvediscrete.jpg

Now, since I can find no instructions anywhere as to what this means, I kinda figured that making the
    distance smaller from the .100 default would maybe mean that it would tighten up the resolution of
    the curve, giving me a smoother curve. So I moved the slider left about half-way--

What actually happened was, while etching outlines with a 3/4" radius on a black anodized panel,
    the machine tried to run the curves at full speed. The stepper motors did NOT like this, and would
    hang, and stay hung during the straightway run until the hanging motor had to change direction-
    the hanging was inconsistent, and also happened while I wasn't looking. Each outline is 12 passes, x4
    corners-- I had lines etched from hell to breakfast. Ruined a $225 operator panel...

SO, I moved the slider about 1/3 the way to the right of center. I'm not on that computer so I don't know
    the actual setting, but doing so DID slow the curve speed down, quite a bit from the default setting...

It works pretty well so I haven't changed it.

That all said, I haven't found lasers to be all that great at cutting nice smooth circles...

As for the OP's machine, since he's been cutting fabric, I wonder if he might have some buildup
    in the belt teeth & drive cogs?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    It will be the bed rails brother, Chinese machines like the weike have single slat rails rather than a bed as such so flashback only tends to happen as the beam crosses them.
    I still disagree with that. If it was the air, then I would be able to emulate that by air pressure. I can't. I can go no air or full blown air and every where in between and never get results like that. If it was air, every one of us should be able to replicate it and I don't think we can. That's a speed/motion issue. Something is set wrong or something is loose in my opinion.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

What is the frequency you are cutting at? I max out my power and frequency for acrylics and it seems to work fine, I just run it at a slower speed.
    Some people go their whole life wondering if they made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem.(R. Reagan)

Epilog Helix 60 watt laser
    Corel Draw X5
    EngraveLab 8

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pabia View Post
    What is the frequency you are cutting at? I max out my power and frequency for acrylics and it seems to work fine, I just run it at a slower speed.
    DC tubes don't have variable frequencies on Chinese machines Neil

Biggest difference between Chinese and Western machines is the resonator, RF give much more control over the process and can give very nice polished edges, DC don't, you can get a decent edge but no where near the quality of a western box
    You did what !

I had a go at it again last night, and I think it is mainly a mechanical problem. So I will try to fix that, thanks for all the input from you guys. The project is on hold until i get time to look at the mechanical side of the machine.

Thanks to you all for your help, this has been very helpful
    Business: Verdande.eu
    Laser: G.Weike Laser LC1612 singel head, 100w with a airpump and chiller 5000