Thread: Variable Speed Controller for Edge Sander

Variable Speed Controller for Edge Sander

I just got a new 6 X 89" edge sander (King Version). The belt speed is quite a bit faster than my old one, and I do not find it as forgiving. It is wired 240V.

Searched the internet for a speed controller, not much luck. In fact, I think my research is telling me that, although possible, it is very complicated.

Any insights?

If the motor is three phase a VFD will work. DC motors can be slowed down but forget slowing down an induction motor with any kind of control. Call your local motor guys and they will tell you the same thing. Just learn to use the tool.

Even if it's a single phase induction motor, you can use a VFD on it - providing you can find a VFD that outputs single phase, or allows you to use one phase of the three phase output. Someone had pointed to a single phase output VFD earlier on this forum but I don't remember the source. You have a couple of limitations on VFD on a single phase induction motor, mainly that you cannot slow it to the point where the centrifugal switch cuts in (that's used for starting a single phase motor). And you should start it at something close to 60 Hz, then slow it down.

But if you have a 3 phase motor, it will make it easier to find a VFD.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thanks. You have confirmed my own research. As for the comment about learning to use the tool. Of course I shall. Variable speed would simply be an improvement and would add flexibility. It would be an upgrade, and we should always be looking for upgrades.

Blog Entries
    I too generally want my sanders to go slower than most manufacturers deem appropriate. Even though I can use my sanders effectively through technique, there are still some operations that I do in alternate ways that a slower sander would make quite simple.

Using a less aggressive grit can help (which may explain my rather large collection of abrasives) but, at some point you run into temperature problems if the grit is too fine and the speed too high. I think you'll do fine with it once you get past a short learning curve.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Is it direct drive or does it have a belt and pulleys? A time-proven method of reducing speed is changing the pulleys.