Thread: Kefing Plane/ Saw Question

Kefing Plane/ Saw Question

Hey Guys, I have been browsing this site for some time now, and am finally getting around to posting something. I am in the process of building a kerfing plane/saw to use on my next project. Im using materials i have on hand or that are readily available and trying to keep the cost down as much as i can. I am using a rip frame saw blade in the body just need to get it cut to length but i am still trying to decide how to attach it to the body, and this is where my question comes in, does anyone have any ideas of an easy way to secure the blade inside the kerf on the plane body?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm making something similar right now. I just used a couple of wood screws that run through a hole in the blade. Worked great for me.

If you want to REALLY fancy it up...Tom Fidgen has a series of videos of his kerfing saw on YouTube.

I've seen his hardware kits from bad axe but would rather see if I can do something similar with hardware that can be easily sourced .

I use Chicago bolts from Lee Valley on my current saw. My prototypes used wood screws. Both work but the Chicago bolts look pretty sharp compared to the screws.

I also made a prototype where the body was two separate pieces and the blade was sandwiched between them with some 1/4-20 threaded rod and T nuts. It was easier to make than making a kerf for the sawplate to go into the body. It was a little bulky with the knobs sticking out and t nuts don't look so nice.

Nick, agreed! This is a working tool, not a museum piece. A couple of random saw nuts, wood screws or dowels would hold the blade nicely. BTW, I like your fence hardware.

I also vote for the Chicago Bolts from Lee Valley. They've helped me hold an internal door together after we were broken into and the doors forced open. I've also used one on a saw handle.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Thanks for the input guys I looked up the bolts from lee valley and figured out what I am looking for binding posts. So I will be picking some up on my way home tonight. Should do just the trick