Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust collection (again)

Dust collection (again)

So, after months of research and debating, I've narrowed it down to a few machines. The oneida 2hp dust gorilla, the grizzly 2hp with canister filter, clear vue CV1800 and the laguna 1.5 hp cyclone or 2hp cyclone. I've decided to go with a Laguna 1.5 HP mobile cyclone DC. Many reasons lead me to this decision, the major factor was mobility and cost. I was considering a 2HP grizzly with canister filter for it's cost ($500 shipped to my door) but REALLY REALLY wanted a cyclone. I have a small 3 car garage shop and all my tools need to be moved once done since I still park in the garage along with my wife so being mobile is a must which knocks the clear vue out of the picture. Next option was the oneida and I have to say, I almost pulled the trigger on that one but with a $400 shipping fee on their unit, it put it up there next to the clear vue (which I would much rather have). All that said, I feel the oneida and clear vue would be so much better units if hooked up to fixed permanent duct work which I can't do. I also feel they are a bit overkill for me at my current situation being I have to move my DC from one tool to the other. That also lead me to cross off the 2hp laguna since I feel a 1.5hp should work well for me with one machine at a time. My current Jet DC-650BK is serving me well but I feel I can get a lot more if I upgraded to a cyclone as well as a bit more power.

So, I guess the question is, am I making a mistake by deciding on the laguna 1.5HP cyclone? This isn't going to be my DC forever, I will one day get the clear vue CV1800 once I get a new home with a dedicated work shop. I don't mind the upgrade later on, I just don't want to spend the extra cash on a unit where I can't use it's full potential.

Also, if I go with the laguna 1.5 hp cyclone, would it be overkill if I added an another cyclone like the super dust deputy in conjunction to my DC?

Sorry for the long post, just trying to cover all my bases before I buy....Which could be tomorrow.

2HP Oneida Gorilla Portable could fit your need but I agree that there is a psychological barrier in paying significantly more than $1,000 for a dust collector, which doesn't really cut woods. I'm getting old and decided that everything I buy is for my life-long investment. So, I swallowed the pill, but I lived with a 1HP smallest Penn State DC for more than 10 years. So, Laguna 1.5HP should be a really better one than many out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Susumu Mori View Post
    2HP Oneida Gorilla Portable could fit your need but I agree that there is a psychological barrier in paying significantly more than $1,000 for a dust collector, which doesn't really cut woods. I'm getting old and decided that everything I buy is for my life-long investment. So, I swallowed the pill, but I lived with a 1HP smallest Penn State DC for more than 10 years. So, Laguna 1.5HP should be a really better one than many out there.
    The Oneida was top on my list for the longest time as it's highly recommended by members here on sawmill, but after seeing how much they wanted for shipping I was looking at $2000 for the 2HP portable gorilla. At that price, I would be much happier with a Clear-vue CV1800 but that machine is way overkill and isn't mobile.

Did you look at the Grizzly 703 portable cyclone? The shipping on Oneida is hard to believe at $400, but I've seen some posts elsewhere people only paid $150-200 in shipping. Might be worth a call to see.

I have seen some reviews mention that the Laguna Portable Cyclone has lots of material bypass the cyclone straight to the filter causing it to clog quickly.

Curious to see your choice and hopefully a review.

I don't remember exactly how much I paid, but, yes, they give you some discount or credit over phone.

oneida.png

It say's on their webpage under the shipping tab. I sent them 2 e-mails concerning it but haven't heard back from them.

Have you seen this review list? Some are available with free shipping.

http://toolreviews.woodmagazine.com/...=editor_rating

Sometimes Oneida runs deals on shipping. Last month I think I paid $190 for shipping.

BTW I bought the mobile Dust Gorilla and it seems well made in terms of the legs and wheels.

Blog Entries
    Hoang,

Just me but I'd go with Oneida. I like their products. They're very good at customer service. I've found them to be easy people to deal with. I purchased a 2 HP Super Dust Gorilla from them back in 2009.

In regard to trying to get the pricing down on the shipping, maybe give them a call.

Good luck with the purchase and the install.

PHM
    Last edited by Paul McGaha; 05-05-2015 at 2:18 PM.

Well, after all the reply from here I decided to give them a call. I'm working with one of the guys there right now on freight charges. He was able to take $110 right off the bat when I called him but I tried pushing for more (call me crazy but $280 for shipping is still hard pill to swallow). Hes ask what would it take for me to buy now and I said $1700 shipped would do it. So he's trying to talk to "the man" to see if they can do that. Waiting on a return call now, if this works out I would be very happy as the 2hp oneida was on the top of my list.

There are some nice reviews of the Laguna cyclone on Youtube, (although I think it might be a bigger model than what you're looking at) It seems that they have some significant quality issues. One review by Marty Backe was pretty bad, but Laguna did step up and provide him with a whole new fully assembled unit, which is great customer service. However the new one still had some significant issues with it. I'd go with Grizzly if I wanted something in that price range.

I ended up going with the ClearVue, which you could easily make a portable stand for out of a few 2x4s. The CV1800 is significantly more expensive though.

Okay, I just placed my order for the Oneida 2HP gorilla portable. Bob from Oneida was able to work his magic and get me a price of $1700 shipped with the condition that I pick it up at my local freight terminal. That's not a problem at all since I have a trailer and it's only 5 miles down the street from me. I'm hoping this system will allow me to grow into it as my shop gets bigger in the near future. Thank you all for the help and advise.

I'm curious how the justify the shipping cost of $395, makes me wonder if they are padding the cost. It would be better marketing to either not include shipping or figure a better way to represent the cost. Grizzly charges $100-$150 on most plus $50-75 for lift gate. I believe ClearVues shopping cart showes $150-$200 as well.

So the price they came down to is more in line. Looking forward to your review to help sway my future decisions!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ulsher View Post
    I'm curious how the justify the shipping cost of $395, makes me wonder if they are padding the cost. It would be better marketing to either not include shipping or figure a better way to represent the cost. Grizzly charges $100-$150 on most plus $50-75 for lift gate. I believe ClearVues shopping cart showes $150-$200 as well.

So the price they came down to is more in line. Looking forward to your review to help sway my future decisions!
    Their shipping cost was the determining factor that steered me away from ordering their DC system until I was able to get the price dropped. As I stated before, I have a small shop so I believe anything between 1.5-2 HP would serve me well for what I need with my current set-up and situation. The Clear-vue looks like an awesome unit but at 2 grand, it's more DC then I need any time soon. That was what lead to me deciding to go with laguna until I was advised by some to call Oneida. I told him I really wanted his system, he told me he really wanted to sell it to me, so we worked it out. I feel that even the oneida is way more DC then I currently need but for the price and reputation it has, I feel that I will allow me to grow into it for a longer time before I feel the need to upgrade or even at all. I hope to do a review on it after I get a few hours of run time on it in hopes it will help others. I haven't been able to find many review videos of this unit online.

Are you planning on moving around a 4"-6" Flex hose tool to tool or install some ducting work?