Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust collection (again)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ulsher View Post
    Are you planning on moving around a 4"-6" Flex hose tool to tool or install some ducting work?
    With my current shop, it will be moving from tool to tool. I guess since I'm now going with the Oneida 2hp Gorilla I can run 2 tool at once with a blast gate but it will still be 4" flex hose for the time being until I can figure out how to change out the dust ports on my machines. My planer, jointer, router table and table saw all have 4" dust ports. I can replace the dust port on my jointer and move to a 6" with no issues since it's one of those dust ports that's built into a plate and screwed into the outside of the machine (powermatic jointer). I'm sure I can do the same thing with my router table since I built it myself and can change things out. My table saw and planer on the other hand, I'm not too sure about. The cabinet on my table saw as a 4" cut out to fit a 4" dust port that came with it (sawstop), I don't see how I can change that without putting a 4"-6" adapter on it. Doing that will protrude out too much and will make storing an issue (I think). Same deal with the planer. I haven't really looked into it much yet, but If I can find a quick connect 6"-4" reducer then I may be able to run 6" flex hose from the DC and hook up to 4" dust port. I'll have to stop by my local Rockler store or Woodcraft to see what they have.

Either way I go, it will still be flex hose. My wife would skin me alive if I started running duct work all over the garage, but even if she was okay with it. It's still not an option since my machines are moved out to the middle of the garage during a project and back against the wall when done.

I hope once I can get a dedicated work shop whenever it is we move, I'll be able to still use the Oneida but this time with dedicated permanent duct work. Thoughts?

Blog Entries
    Congratulations Hoang,

It's a big deal to get a new dust collector.

PHM

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post
    Congratulations Hoang,

It's a big deal to get a new dust collector.

PHM
    Thank you Paul,
    I'm really excited to receive it and see how much it sucks! They told me it would be about 2 weeks before they send it out. After asking why, they told me most machines are built to order with some parts being pre-fab. He said I'll get it faster if they have one already built but 2 week lead time is usually what he tells everyone.

Now I need to have my friend come back out and install 2 more 240v outlets in my garage.

Yes, you'll be amazed how strongly it sucks. Almost scary. And you will be surprised again when you empty the can because almost nothing makes its way to the filter bin.

It arrives in three or four boxes (I don't remember) and the parts are secured by some kind of foams that solidify after injection. I think their shipping may include their labor. One of the boxes is heavy and you want a dolly. If you are strong, you can carry for a short distance.

The motor section is heavy. I managed to lift it to my work bench and then stand on the bench and lift it to the top of the DC, but extra hands would help.

Assembly went fine except for a foam seal. It was a bit difficult to figure out how to attach the seal for the motor unit. You'll figure it out.
    There is another foam seal for the trash bin. Until the foam collapse to a thin seal, it is difficult to attach the trash bin to the unit, but eventually it will settle.

Anyway, enjoy the sucker!

Congratulations on the new Oneida. I'm sure you will be happy with it. I have a shop similar to yours: garage/machines on wheels/cars share space. I built a DC unit using an Oneida SDD. One thing I did was go to 6" for the collection hose. That was the single biggest improvement. The amount of air flowing through a 6" hose compared with a 4" will stagger you. Your 2HP unit will easily handle the larger hose. I had to convert my machines to the larger ports and posted this thread showing the modifications: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...se-6-quot-pipe It wasn't difficult, although you may be forced to do some surgery to use a 6" port on some machines. Using a 6" to 4" adapter at the machine will work in a pinch, but the amount of air flowing will be considerably reduced. In some cases you might be able to use a 6" to 4" + 4" wye fitting and draw from two places instead of cutting a larger port into the machine.
    Last edited by James Gunning; 05-11-2015 at 9:24 AM.

Laguna cyclones are constructed with a cone which is not long or steep enough to trap fines. It is a common problem with their design as well as JDS (looks like the same manufacturer). Do a search of reviews of the Laguna and you will see several comments substantiating the above. Also would not buy any cyclone with less than 2 hp due to the inherent loss of suction with cyclone construction.