Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speed Squares

Speed Squares

Are there any accurate speed squares? I am considering getting one to set up my EzSmart track saw rail using their EzSmart Square and Handle. I am thinking a speed square would be best as it will give a longer reference.

Anyone that has the EzSmart track saw system, any thought or ideas?

Thanks

George
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I don't have an EZsmart track so can't chime in there but I do make a lot of cuts on sheet goods. I usually use a large drywall square and it's been good to be so far. I've checked it with my 6" incra square at the T and it's dead on, but I can't confirm any further then that. I have confirmed it by pulling a tape on it, pretty much just set the square and mark my line across the sheet and pull a tape on both ends. It reads the same on my tape so I'm fine with it. I usually oversize my cuts when ripping down sheet goods and then taking it on my table saw to do my 5 cut rips to slowly bring it down to size. That will ensure I have a perfectly square sheet once done. It's a lot more work but worth it in the end for me.

Don't use a speed square. They are made for rough carpentry not fine machine setup.

Go to a craft store and get two large plastic squares. The ones I've gotten there are remarkably accurate, light, and easy to hang on a hook. Use the method described above to check for square before you buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by David Spurr View Post
    Don't use a speed square. They are made for rough carpentry not fine machine setup.
    It depends where you look.

http://www.woodpeck.com/carpentertriangles.html

If you have good crosscut sled for your tablsaw and the speed square is aluminum toss it on there and square it up if you want.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I have 12 inch aluminum speed square that I paid like 12 bucks for. It is as accurate as my woodpeck stuff.
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

On a whim, I bought a cheap speed square made of aluminum at Harbor Freight. I think it was around $2. I turned out to be quite accurate according to my precision references and so I use it all the time mow for all but the most demanding applications. I can't guarantee they re all that way but mine is extremely useful and cost almost nothing.

I have a plastic speed square that checks square with my Starrette combination square so I use it with confidence. Reading this thread makes me think all speed squares are accurate .
    Last edited by william watts; 05-05-2015 at 9:37 PM.
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss

Seriously I got a grey plastic speed-square from Sears years ago and its plenty accurate. Of course I did take and compare it to the most expensive square they were selling at the time in the store and I don't recall but may have sorted through a few to pick the best one.

I use the EZSmart long guide for breaking down sheet goods.

On the Website, the common milling method involves
    making a first pass to establish a reference edge.

From there, all measurements are taken.

I've got a large Shinwa aluminum square that gets used for this application.
    http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/store/...78474b2f7741ad

HAD a al. speed square. Had to keep replacing it, due to others in the Concrete Form Crew I was in...stepping on it. It did come in handy, with a Builder's Level, to re-align wall forms after we filled them up.

Didn't like the plastic ones, as they "moved" depending on the amount of sunlight hitting them.

Finally, just put together three bits of scrap wood, and some screws. THEN I had a large Speed Square I could also use on a jobsite tablesaw, guide a circular saw, guide a router, and even break down plywood sheets to make extra foms out of.
    Accurate? As accurate as I needed it to be. Used a jobsite saw as a gauge. Lined the factory corner with the edge of the saw, AND a mitre slot. Checked to make sure they were square. There is a cleat to butt up against a board. It is usually long enough a couple "C" clamps can hold it. Price? Scrap pile for the wood parts, tool bag had enough screws. Seemed to do quite nicely. IMAG0092.jpgIMAG0093.jpgIMAG0094.jpgStill in use, too.

Speed Squares not accurate? Depends on which ones you get, for starters. NO to plastic. Metal ones are better, BUT, take the time to check a few against a known square. One can "adjust" them as needed...if you find a good one, it shouldn't need any. Since these are sold in the same place as those BIG framing squares, grab a framing square to check a few speed squares. I'd rather do this myself, that way I KNOW they are good. Tip: Get the ones in the back of the hook. Others may have been there ahead of you, and put all the "bad" ones back on the hooks. The square part shouldn't be that hard to find, it is those angles on the square I don't trust. 12" speed squares MIGHT be good, but, do you want to haul that oversized thing around all day? The 6" ones were made to ride in the tool bag, or on a clip from the tool belt. After you have sat down on a couple, you will learn WHY we used the smaller ones.
    Last edited by steven c newman; 05-06-2015 at 10:48 AM.

Large drafting triangles are my preferred cheap square reference. I have several in the shop. I also like metal engineers squares. I have a couple speed squares, one aluminum, one plastic, and they are OK but not what I use for tool setup. These days you might have to mail order drafting triangles. Back when I was in school, all engineers had to learn drafting. Now it's CAD.

Can you give a source for the drafting triangles? Thanks!

Ultrect art and drafting supplies