Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router Plane

Router Plane

Just received a medium Veritas router plane. Tried it out thinning a few tenons. What a great tool. Beats the heck out of bench chisels, files, and sandpaper! I'm already thinking through a number of other uses. Aren't new toys fun

Blog Entries
    Aren't new toys fun
    Yes, even when they are a century old "new toy."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The multi tool of planes. You will find all kinds of things to do with a router. You will quickly find you need more then one. Great new toy.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    I do love my router plane. I have the large and intend to get the medium as well. I use it to clean out mortices, but when I read your post I thought maybe you meant mortices instead of tenons. It prompted me to go to the Google University of Higher Learning first, and found this tutorial. http://www.leevalley.com/newsletters...article1-3.htm Hmmm, I have not tried this, so I won't knock it yet, but I have always just sawn to the line and then used a shoulder plane, skewed rabbet plane, or chisel to adjust (depending on size of tenon). I do see the merit of having an adjustable depth and getting a centered tenon.

It certainly is a very versatile tool, often overlooked and probably underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    The multi tool of planes. You will find all kinds of things to do with a router. You will quickly find you need more then one. Great new toy.
    Jim
    Good - so I don't have to feel bad about having six?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Yes, even when they are a century old "new toy."

jtk
    Bwahhhh!! Maker's Mark all over the monitor. Thanks a lot, Jim.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

It appears that this whole thread may be loaded, may as well join in with a little Knob Creek. And a famous quote "No one can have just one". That goes for planes and the other as well.
    Jim

They're great tools. I've got my eye on the LV.

Caution on tenons, though: you're trimming both sides differently most of the time, so I just use them for levelling, not fine tuning the tenon.
    Shoulder plane/rabbet plane still the best for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    They're great tools. I've got my eye on the LV.

Caution on tenons, though: you're trimming both sides differently most of the time, so I just use them for levelling, not fine tuning the tenon.
    Shoulder plane/rabbet plane still the best for that.
    I don't mean to hijack the thread...but how would using a shoulder or rabbet plane be more accurate on tenons than a router?
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

10. I hadn't thought of using a router plane to dial in tenons, either, but a LV team guy showed me this trick at WIA in Winston-Salem last fall. As soon as he did I could see that it was the best way to go.

Blog Entries
    Okay, Maybe I am the odd one out, but I have been using the router plane like that for years. I use the shoulder plane, well, for shoulders. But there are many good ways. to each their own.

Enjoy the router plane. They are great!
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    Good - so I don't have to feel bad about having six?
    I now feel smug about having only three. Thank you! (The router plane is – no hyperbole – my favorite tool.)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    I don't mean to hijack the thread...but how would using a shoulder or rabbet plane be more accurate on tenons than a router?
    What may have been intended was more a caution about how getting the tenon centered may not work if the mortise is slightly off center.

When it gets to the point of removing a scant amount from a shaving the shoulder, rabbet or even a chisel is easier to control over a wider area than a router plane with a half inch blade.

Of course, ymmv.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    I don't think they are.

But - If I need to trim a skootch off of a tenon face, I'll be done and gone by the time the router gets set up and in place.

On the shoulder plane - you need to tune up a shoulder............Not sure how to attempt that on a router.

If you mean "cut the tenon in the first place" - well, different kettle of fish. I don't use routers to cut Ms or Ts.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    If you mean "cut the tenon in the first place" - well, different kettle of fish. I don't use routers to cut Ms or Ts.
    Okay...now I'm really confused. You M & T fish???
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.