Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For those who love Laserbits, beware

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Might be a typo Gary, but I'm buying 500g bottles.
    Yep, I meant $250 for a 500g tub. You can find it for about $11 dollars cheaper than you found on ebay...

I watched your video Kevin, with the sound off, so I didn't hear what you said, but it's always been my understanding that Cermark, when packaged, has a fair amount of liquid it in. However, the longer it sits, the liquid evaporates and it becomes what we typically get in the can you dumped out into the lid, a thick, milkshake like liquid. I suspect if you left the top off the one you just got, in a day, it would look just like the others.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Does it separate? Maybe it just needs to be mixed well?

Part of the problem with excessive freight charges are now courtesy of UPS(I think FedEx also has a similar charge). UPS now has what they call "dimensional weight". Basically what it boils down to is if the weight of your package is less than they feel it should be, based on the dimensions of the package, they will charge you the dimensional weight fee. I've sent out packages recently that when I entered the weight, say 2 pounds, and the dimensions of the package I was charged at the 4 pound rate. Seems fair to me as I have total control over what something weights and/or it's dimensions...NOT!

Their justification is due to some shippers who will ship an order in a standard sized box no matter what the size of the item is. I've experienced it, and I'd bet a lot of you have as well. Order something that would fit in a Small Priority Mail USPS Box, for example, and receive it in a box big enough for something 5 times that size. I guess that means they can't get as many packages in their trucks, planes, etc.

Somewhat along the same line, I received notice from the company I get my boxes and other shipping supplies from and usually just go pick up instead of having them shipped. They are going to start charging a $25.00 fee if you pick up your order and it is under $300.00. The justification for that charge is to cut down on the congestion on their docks. Funny thing is I typically pick up my orders on Saturday mornings and, for the most part, the employees are all standing around looking for something to do, and I'm usually the only customer there. Not sure how that makes any difference. Guess I'll just have to be sure I order more than $300.00 worth from now on.

Steve
    Epilog Legend EX24, Corel X3

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I watched your video Kevin, with the sound off...
    - you need the sound on so you can hear me shake the bottle. What's in the bottle now weighs 500 grams. If enough DNA evaporated off to where the consistency was like it should be, the remainder would likely weigh less than 200 grams. And to get that much DNA to evaporate, I'd have to leave the cap off for days. With the cap on, never gonna happen...
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 05-06-2015 at 1:14 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Gothca. I've always felt that the grams was done at the time of packaging. I've never thought I've received as much as should be in there. I've had 500 gram bottles that are about 1/4" full when I get them. I suspect they were 500 grams when packaged.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McKee View Post
    ...They are going to start charging a $25.00 fee if you pick up your order and it is under $300.00. The justification for that charge is to cut down on the congestion on their docks. Funny thing is I typically pick up my orders on Saturday mornings and, for the most part, the employees are all standing around looking for something to do, and I'm usually the only customer there. Not sure how that makes any difference. Guess I'll just have to be sure I order more than $300.00 worth from now on.

Steve
    I received that same email this morning. My experience mirrors yours and others have also shared the same impression on the internet today.

disclaimer: going from memory, so the dates might not be totally accurate

When me & Vickie met back in 1991, she worked for UPS as a tracing clerk...

In 1990 her xmas bonus was like $1200, her medical was 100% and totally free
    In 1991 her xmas bonus was like $500, medical the same
    In 1992 her xmas bonus was zero, medical remained the same...
    In 1994, still no bonus, and suddenly she had to choose a medical plan.
    Somewhere in '94 to 'compensate' for no xmas bonus, grunt employees were
    offered an incentive "points" plan, the more production, the more points you earned.
    Within about 14 months, the wife earned enough points to get us a $1400
    Kenmore side-by-side refrigerator. I'm sure other employees benefited quite well...
    In 1996, incentive program cancelled. Medical was now choose how much to pay for
    how much coverage--
    etc etc...

The reason for the grunt employees dwindling bennies? To keep the union paid drivers
    happy and avoid a strike. That worked well until 1997 when the infamous UPS strike happened.

Things have changed little, except the excuses. Congestion on the docks? Puh leezze.
    They simply want more money...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Any chance the bottles were "returns"... Someone sent back thinned stuff.... for a full refund... I saw it at the Lumber Yard that I worked at once... with poly finish... added thinner to fill the can back up... a fail....
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Very possible...

Like my kids in the old days who would drink from our liquor bottles & top 'em off with water.
    But we kept our bottles in the freezer. And the water they added would freeze into ice crystals..
    These would be the same kids who "know everything". Uh-huh...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Kev,

As others have suggested, an email or call to LaserBits is in order. I'd really be shocked if they didn't remedy this situation for you immediately. Keep us posted after you talk with them! (Sorry, if I missed an update in this thread. I got a little lost w/ the subject change...)
    Jeanette Brewer
    Engraving Concepts

Next time check JDS - they have a 250g tub for much less than $250. I won't post the price here since you have to be a customer to see the price, but rest assured it's less than Laserbits, plus, they won't rob you on the shipping like Laserbits will.
    Gary,

Per a conversation I had (at least a year ago) with a CerMark supplier, Ferro requires all distributors to sell CerMark at the same price point. The 500g jar at JDS or LaserBits (or other) is the same. Seems like that agreement/settlement ends soon but, as of now, all pricing is still the same.
    Last edited by Jeanette Brewer; 05-08-2015 at 1:03 PM.
    Jeanette Brewer
    Engraving Concepts

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette Brewer View Post
    Gary,

Per a conversation I had (at least a year ago) with a CerMark supplier, Ferro requires all distributors to sell CerMark at the same price point. The 500g jar at JDS or LaserBits (or other) is the same. Seems like that agreement/settlement ends soon but, as of now, all pricing is still the same.
    Maybe they meant the advertised price? I know for a fact that they all sell it for different prices as I have sourced it through four different resellers and they are all different. I won't post them here, but let it suffice to say that they are not exactly mom and pop shops.

I found differing prices as well.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7