Thread: Continuous Arm Chair

Continuous Arm Chair

I'm having trouble visualizing the setup for a bent lamination on a continuous arm chair - similar to Moser. Has anyone tried this? The compound curve seems problematic.

The lamination stack has to twist between the bends.

Curtis Buchanan is the king of Windsor chair making (IMO).
    I believe he has a video on YouTube of a continuous arm chair.

He doesn't used laminated wood.
    Maybe that's the trick?

I was thinking the same thing on the twist, but there'd have to be some lower limit on the radius you could pull off, not to mention having the stack constantly trying to slide out. Hoping there's a trick to it.

I know I could pull it off with just steam bending, but didn't want to fight the spring, if i could help it

I'm no expert, but I've seen YouTube video of guys making railings for stairs with bent lams. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqqT9cpsTx0
    Also, using something like bicycle inner tube wrapped around the lams, which is then pulled around a form is, I believe, a legitimate method. There was an old Fine Woodworking collection, " On Bending Wood", with an article by Seth Stem, that features such a technique.

Yes, the original builders of Windsor chairs steam-bent that bow, complete with bends in two directions. Thomas Moser started out building his that way, and eventually decided it was not a controllable production process. Some bows would break. Some would spring back more than others. So he eventually shifted to bent laminations. They get their laminates flitch-cut, and keep track of them so that each bow is laid up from the sequential slices off the log.

Read all the way to the bottom of this page --- https://www.thosmoser.com/category/d...ous_arm_chair/
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 05-07-2015 at 2:14 AM.

I have made a lot of windsors over the years, but only 1 continuous arm. Too gosh darn hard to get that bend. I broke 3 I think, before I got one that was ok. I used maple, but if I were to do it today, I'd laminate it.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe