Thread: LARGE studly-looking™ rocking horse

LARGE studly-looking™ rocking horse

When this little guy’s dad was 5, (about 23 years ago) I began to build a LARGE studly-looking™ rocking horse for his Christmas present. Long story short, new house (for us) and we did not know to turn on the electric heater in the laundry room. The pipes busted about December 5<sup>th</sup> and we came home at 9 O’ Clock at night to water running out from under the garage (wood shop) door. The rocking horse never got built. Now I have this grand-baby – Trevor Austin – and I would like to build him a LARGE studly-looking™ rocking horse for his 2<sup>nd</sup> birthday – which, fortunately, is still many months off.
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <o =""></o>
    I’ve looked on the net and cannot find any plans for a LARGE studly-looking™ rocking horse. The ones I’ve seen are, well, not to put too fine a point on it, wimpy looking.

Does anyone have any sources/links to plans for a LARGE studly-looking™ rocking horse that doesn’t look like a broken down 25 year old gelding?
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <o =""></o>
    Thanks for your assistance.

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <o =""></o>Best,

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <o =""></o>Leo in San Antonio
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rocking Armadillo

A good rocking horse kicks Tonka...if I remember my second and third years clearly...unlikely forty plus years later. Something about the squeek of the springs and the wide-eyed fury of my steed.

Anyway, before I was REALLY old and my nephew was a long way from graduating from High school (argh!) I bought him a rocking armadillo. It has since been loved and crazily rocked by at least a half a dozen proud owners.

I don't have a picture, but I can offer some design ideas based on the success of this particular animal. It was not realistic at all. The seat, or saddle if you will, was semi circular in section simple constructed of oak slats screwed and glued into two bandsawed endplates that extended down elegantly to two rocking runners or whatever you call the things it rocks on.

The genius of the design was the head and tail. The tail was comprised of sections of white oak, tapering to the tips of tail and held together so the assembly would clackity-CLACK-clackity-clack as the owner rode furiously.

The head was similar section and rope-bound (two manilla ropes through a pair of holes in each section) so it too would make the noise. The middle section of the head was the face with wooden ears sticking up and additional clacking sections projected forward to the nose. I think there was a leather tongue.

The whole think was naturally finished with painted on eyes and a painted nose.

No carving skills required.

-Andy

Don't remember the issue (and everything is in storage now), but Woodsmith had an awesome horse...huge too. Here's my version.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave on Lake Greenwood, SC

I recently bought a plan at Woodcraft supply, http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3628
    It's a very nice heirloom quality, they had one made in the store, look real nice. Unfortunately, they do not have a pic on their website.

I found this pic on another website .. the exact same horse http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/n...ing_horse.html

Hey !! THAT"S IT ...... Dave beat me to it
    Last edited by Tony Falotico; 08-09-2005 at 9:48 PM. Reason: Dave beat me to it !!!!
    Tony

I've built two of these using 6/4 cherry, very sturdy. The Plan came from U-Build, Inc. "Pony Rocker" No. 738

"Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints"

Go with the woodsmith horse. You can order a kit that has the leather for the saddle, reins and ears, plus yarn for the tail and mane and plastic eyes for a real reasonable price. I built one 15 years ago and it has seen a total of 6 granchildren with not problem. I built mine out of clear spruce and the head is laminate with three thicknesses. As it turned out the center piece darkened and the first grandchild named the horse Stripe. Today Stripe sits in the children's play room and I imagine will be used by great grandchildren or even great great grandchildren before being put out to pasture.

Woodsmith plans are fabulous to follow and the horse turned out perfect.
    Ed

Rocking Horse

Leo,

Below is a link that includes a picture of a Clydesdale rocking horse plan that I have been working on for awhile.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=1696