Thread: Yet another dust collection thread. Adapting the machines to use 6" pipe

Yet another dust collection thread. Adapting the machines to use 6" pipe

I realized from my research that the standard 4" size fittings just weren't the way to go for any really adequate dust collection. They just can't flow enough air. I needed to get some 6" flex pipe for my build with the SDD, so I settled on that size and bought enough from Wynn to give me a length of hook-up hose. It was a challenge to engineer the fittings for each machine, but perhaps my experience will be useful to someone else. Cost was a big factor in the build and I tried to keep things simple and didn't use any of the more "exotic" fittings that are available. Also, I didn't want to do surgery on any of the machines if I could avoid it.

First up was the easiest. My Powermatic 6" jointer. I removed the 4" fitting and plate it came with and substituted an MDF plate with a metal 6" piece of crimped ducting from a big box store. I just centered the new fitting on the square opening in the jointer. The metal is epoxied into the MDF.

Powermatic-jointer.jpg

Next was my Dewalt 734 planer. I found a 6" "register adapter" (can't remember the exact name it's called) in the big box. Soldered up all the seams to eliminate leaks, Drilled and tapped for a pair of thumbscrews to match the location on the original dust hood, and bent the square part to fit the mount on the planer. Lots of fiddling, but it fit pretty well. When mounted, the hose sticks straight up which keeps it out of the way better.

Hood-for-Dewalt 734-12.5-inch-planer.jpg

Next, my Jet 18" bandsaw. I left the original 4" fitting in place since it worked pretty well as is. However, I would need more airflow for the 6" pipe. Also, the area under the table around the blade always was a place some dust and chips collected. I used MDF to make a manifold and added a 2" PVC pipe cut and angled to reach into the space under the table. The total airflow from the 4" and 2" fitting is more than the 4" alone and the area under the table now gets very little accumulation. Made from MDF, PVC pipe, a big box fitting and epoxied together.

18-inch-Jet-bandsaw.jpg18-inch-Jet-bandsaw-2.jpg

Next was my Ryobi BT 3000 saw. It's mounted into a cabinet with a chip hopper under it. It has a close fitting blade shroud that works well for dust extraction, but with only a 2 1/2" fitting. Again, more air would be needed. I had put a 4" blast gate in the back of the chip hopper to enable cleanout, so I made another manifold that covered the blade shroud and the blast gate. Both pulling air from the interior of the saw. In the photo you can also see the hookup from the SDD. The flex pipe has a big box metal crimped fitting clamped into the end. That fitting slides into the fitting on the machine. They hold together well and if there is any leakage at that joint, it's minimal. The manifold is MDF with the metal 6" fitting epoxied in.

Hookup-on-table-saw.jpg

I have a plastic dust deputy hooked up with my shop vacs. I use that for my hand sanders, router table, and other small machines. I made this large fitting to use with my Rigid bench sander and my drill press. I hook up the 2 1/2" hose on the vacuum when I'm using the Rigid sander, but some dust still escapes above the table. I clamp this to a corner and use the SDD to catch the dust that escapes on top. I tried to duplicate the "bellmouth" shape for all the inlets to allow for more efficient airflow. Made from MDF.

Inlet-for-drill-press-and-sander-DC-hose.jpg

Finally a floor sweep made from MDF scraps and a big box metal fitting.

Floor-Sweep.jpg
    Last edited by James Gunning; 05-07-2015 at 10:02 AM. Reason: fix photo display

Looks like you are on the right track.

Nice! I'm doing similar things now, plumbing a PM66 saw, belt/disk sander, jointer, etc. The 18" Rikon bandsaw is under control with a shroud that fits under the table and around the blade and guides.

Are your attachments photos? For some reason I could not get them to display. The only picture is of the floor sweep.

JKJ

Sorry, when I posted the thread, the website apparently timed out. I reloaded the photos and they should display now.