Thread: Clear Anodization

Clear Anodization

I have a client with "Clear" anodized aluminum. Has anyone seen this and how does it laser?
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Sure, anodizing itself is clear, it's anodized, then dyed, then sealed to make it colors (if I remember the sequence correctly). It will engrave just like any other anodizing. It'll turn white(ish), at least all the clear I've ever engraved has.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Yup,

Clear is just the honeycombs sealed without any dye in them
    You did what !

You won't get much contrast, but some people like it. If you look at the back of an ipad/ipod/iphone you can see about what it will look like.

OK, I've done a few iPads - don't know that was clear anodization. Thank you for the information, now to submit my bid.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC