Thread: Its rust hunting time!

Its rust hunting time!

At a small garage sale on Sunday and picked up these oxidized gems. Got the lot for $40. Not too bad, but not great.

A early Stanley 7 (low knob and before frog adjusters rallied for a better way of life)... don't know my type study sorry. Has a decent iron but not a Stanley. Its been around the block a few times (almost all of its japanning is gone) but will be a worker for sure. Has a hang hole in the tail of the plane.

IMAG2364.jpg IMAG2366.jpg IMAG2365.jpgIMAG2367.jpg

And a Sargent 18c. In very good condition (nearly all of its japanning and the edge where the sole meets the sides is almost sharp) except for the busted casting on the frog where the depth adjuster yoke is attached ... Didn't notice this till I got it home. Has original iron. These are beefy planes.

IMAG2357.jpg IMAG2362.jpg IMAG2363.jpg
    Last edited by Judson Green; 05-06-2015 at 7:23 PM.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

And a Miller Falls #9, a smoother. Had a Stanley sweet hart iron for a number 3 in it, I swapped it out for a Stanley size for a 4.

IMAG2354.jpg IMAG2355.jpg IMAG2356.jpg

And a Stanley made in England 151

IMAG2353.jpg

Here's the lot.

IMAG2352.jpg

Blog Entries
    Actually $40 for all of that isn't bad.

The #7 is a type 9 for all I can see. (2 patent dates)

To bad about the Sargent frog. It isn't likely an easy one to find. That looks to be the Shaw's patent frog design. (this is similar to the Bedrock design, some feel it is better than the Bedrock.)

Not sure if there is a way to repair what you have, but it would be worth a try if you can't find a replacement.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Let me be the first to say......you suck.

I never....repeat NEVER run across deals like this.

Excellent find(s).....very well played.

Well now, looks like you are all set to go and do some trading.....right?

Good finds Judson! I have an MF #9 and it's a nice tool that takes very thin shavings. I'd keep watch for a replacement frog for the 18c - be a shame not to use her!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Actually $40 for all of that isn't bad.

The #7 is a type 9 for all I can see. (2 patent dates)

To bad about the Sargent frog. It isn't likely an easy one to find. That looks to be the Shaw's patent frog design. (this is similar to the Bedrock design, some feel it is better than the Bedrock.)

Not sure if there is a way to repair what you have, but it would be worth a try if you can't find a replacement.

jtk
    I'm gonna try a ugly blob of JB weld, the putty stuff. Figure it's broken and has really no value the way it is and if another frog came across my path well.... just swap it out.

And I don't have a 6 size plane in my hanger so I wanna see what all the hype is about. Probably gonna be a keeper.

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    Judson:

I had a Sargent frog that was broken, and I put a WTB in the Classified section with the details - I can't recall the SMCer that helped me out, but I got a replacement for a reasonable price.

Nice finds -

Dave B

Yeah I'll have to keep that in mind. But first I'll see how the JB weld holds up.

IMG_20150507_120933_074.jpeg

Couldn't get the pin to slide into place with out removing it from the yoke. Then it seemed like the casting that was left on the frog might be enough to hold the pin in place. Hopefully this little fix will work.

Judson,

+1 on what John, Jim, and the others have said. Forty bucks for all of those....wow!

Hope your JB Weld will hold. One thought, I think I would have just put it on one side first, then use what was left of the holder on the other side to serve as a guide for drilling the hole, then gob up the first side and use the hole you drilled earlier for a guide for drilling the 2nd hole. You probably did that, but I thought to throw in my 2 cents.

Any rate, you did extremely well I think. If the JB Weld doesn't hold up, you might watch for another frog on Ebay. My experience at watching for non-Stanley plane parts is that they do come up once in a while, but you have to watch for a long time some of the time.

Stew