Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is this cut made?

How is this cut made?

So I was just looking at this website, and came across these really cool, single piece wood wallets. But since I'm a total newbie to woodworking, I'm not sure how the artist made the deep groove cut where the cards and such go.

http://www.slimtimber.com/products/maple-wood-wallet

I assume it's a router, or a CNC, but since it's such a deep cut I wasn't sure. And if it is a router, what kind of bit do you think is used?

If anyone can enlighten me, I'd really appreciate it!
    Epilog Helix 24 - 50w
    Kern HSE 50x100 - 400w (rated at 479w!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Selway View Post
    So I was just looking at this website, and came across these really cool, single piece wood wallets. But since I'm a total newbie to woodworking, I'm not sure how the artist made the deep groove cut where the cards and such go.

http://www.slimtimber.com/products/maple-wood-wallet

I assume it's a router, or a CNC, but since it's such a deep cut I wasn't sure. And if it is a router, what kind of bit do you think is used?

If anyone can enlighten me, I'd really appreciate it!
    I don't know how it's done.

I'm not sure how practical a wood wallet is for guys that carry wallets in their hip pocket....ouch.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Thanks
    Epilog Helix 24 - 50w

If I had to build one, I'd either start with a pattern and bearing guided router bits, taking small passes and working my way down, or use my hollow chisel mortiser, or use a series of overlapping forstner bit holes using a drill press, or drill it out with my Festool Domino....lots of ways to skin a cat.

If I had to build one, I'd wait until the feeling passed.

I'd love to see the statistics on how many people who bought one were still using it 3 months later.

Although I hear the Dutch are big on them ...

But if you're determined, probably break out the mortising machine, and a lot of hand sanding inside.

Could this be done with a CNC? Not sure how deep they typically can cut.
    Epilog Helix 24 - 50w

They're made from a single piece of wood, but that doesn't mean the single piece of wood remains a single piece during the whole process.

Resawed blank, dish out the two halves, glue back together.

It's probably made on a cnc machining center with a long mortising bit, like a slot mortiser but under a hood like a molder, and in an orientation like a Bridgeport. Probably makes multiples from a much longer board. I could probably make wallets with my slot mortiser, it easily goes that deep and more. But why?

On the "strong" thing, the ends are some very weak short grain, I can't imagine that thing lasting in a pocket for very long. It would probably be stronger if well made from 5 different pieces of wood, but not as pretty and mysterious. Maybe if you keep it completely filled to support the center and never sit down? I like wooden business card holders for a desk setting but don't typically put those in my pocket and travel.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    I could probably make wallets with my slot mortiser, it easily goes that deep and more. But why?
    My best guess, too. Probably 8-10 of these start as inline slots, and are separated on a bandsaw for external shaping.
    This is one of those solutions in search of a problem.

If you look close at the second picture you can see a seam

I first looked for a seam but didn't see one so I suspect it is machined. (What at first looked like a seam to me on the second picture turned out to be a dark line in the wood.)

Easy job with a CNC machine, multipasses, ease the bit down a little at a time. Not glued back together for sure.

Looks like a job for a pantorouter, or horizontal mortising machine.

If you look close at the second picture you can see a seam
    I thought that too, but, a couple of pictures later you can see what looks like a seam is actually the grain in the wood - there's a dark streak.

Anyhow - when I was in high school we used to make rings out of scraps of wood. It didn't take much to bust them in half. I suspect these card holders would be the same. Sit on one and it would probably snap....
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    They're made from a single piece of wood, but that doesn't mean the single piece of wood remains a single piece during the whole process.

Resawed blank, dish out the two halves, glue back together.
    My thoughts exactly as well.