Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Art exhibit disaster x 2

Art exhibit disaster x 2

Our town's art's council wanted to display our club's turnings, and we had a nice reception last Friday night to kick off the 2 week exhibit. Seeing an opportunity to support the local arts, I entered a variety of turnings for display. You have seen some of these but not others.

IMG_7477.jpgIMG_8180.jpgBuckeye HF 1.jpgIMG_7758.jpgIMG_7300.jpgAttachment 313100

When I arrived at the reception, the director took me over to the eucalyptus burl hollow form (4th from the left ) and explained that she dropped the finial and broke it during set up. I was disappointed, to say the least. About an hour after the reception started, one of the customers backed into the podium on which my buckeye burl HF was sitting (3rd from the left). She knocked it off onto the floor and broke the finial and base. Unbelievable! Two pieces were broken. The only good to come out of it was that ONLY the finials were broken. Both "globes" remained intact. There is no way to recoup the loss. I can turn new finials but wouldn't be able to replace the unique wood for the hollow forms. I haven't decided how I am going to repair the base for the buckeye burl piece. The other 4 pieces are still on display and will hopefully be intact when I pick them up next week.

Here are the broken pieces:

IMG_0791.jpgIMG_0794.jpg

What a shame, Eric. They are all beautiful pieces and everyone here knows how much work went into them.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

I'm stunned. What happened to "You break it... you bought it."
    Sorry for your loss.

I am so sorry, Eric. I know your pain.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Wow, unbelievable!! I hate it for you.

I would think the art council should have insurance that would pay for the pieces, but then again you may not have been interested in selling. Truly a shame as they should understand how to handle art works.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Eric, very sorry to see such beautiful pieces damaged. I hope you can figure out some way to save them.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Large bummer. :-( Hate to have to double-sticky tape everything down with "Touch it you die" signs.

Once someone accidentally crushed one of my fragile pieces while handling it. Another time someone dropped and dented a piece but it didn't break. But then I recall the times I dropped or broke my own things!

I would be sick. I look at your pieces and wonder even how you made those. I am new to turning, but I'm loving it. I'm starving for more lathe time each day. I have had my lathe a week now and have made 6 bowls already. Everyone is a bit nicer. Sorry to rant, I do feel sorry for you. Those pieces are truely art.

10. Bummer for sure, Eric Great looking turnings, all!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I would have removed all my pieces at once!
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Eric, that sucks big time and I can feel your pain. I've got less and less patience for that sort of thing, and will try to place as much control on where the pieces are set to prevent it...but sometimes (*&^ happens.
    I'll offer a thought for pieces like those. Try attaching a bit of "museum putty" or somtimes called "mounting putty". My wife calls it "teacher's putty", as it's the stuff that is used to affix precious pieces of many a 6 yr olds art to walls of the classroom. It really does provide some stability.
    Good luck getting things fixed back up, glad to see the body of the pieces stayed in tact.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gourieux View Post
    Our town's art's council wanted to display our club's turnings, and we had a nice reception last Friday night to kick off the 2 week exhibit. Seeing an opportunity to support the local arts, I entered a variety of turnings for display. You have seen some of these but not others.

IMG_7477.jpgIMG_8180.jpgBuckeye HF 1.jpgIMG_7758.jpgIMG_7300.jpgAttachment 313100

When I arrived at the reception, the director took me over to the eucalyptus burl hollow form (4th from the left ) and explained that she dropped the finial and broke it during set up. I was disappointed, to say the least. About an hour after the reception started, one of the customers backed into the podium on which my buckeye burl HF was sitting (3rd from the left). She knocked it off onto the floor and broke the finial and base. Unbelievable! Two pieces were broken. The only good to come out of it was that ONLY the finials were broken. Both "globes" remained intact. There is no way to recoup the loss. I can turn new finials but wouldn't be able to replace the unique wood for the hollow forms. I haven't decided how I am going to repair the base for the buckeye burl piece. The other 4 pieces are still on display and will hopefully be intact when I pick them up next week.

Here are the broken pieces:

IMG_0791.jpgIMG_0794.jpg
    Eric, have you asked the organizers what they think should be done? I can't imagine how they wouldn't feel responsible and act accordingly.

That really is sad news Eric. Hopefully, somehow someway things get made right. What is the wood ID for your 2nd vase pictured in your lineup. Boy is that sweet looking wood and form.

Thanks for all of the comments. The director was very apologetic. I know she truly was sorry, but no compensation or solution was offered. We did sign a brief contract that contained a "hold harmless" statement. I did have the eucalyptus burl piece up for sale but immediately removed it, once the director broke the finial.

David, the 2nd piece is walnut.