Thread: Another 220V plug question NEMA 14-30R to 6-20R?

Another 220V plug question NEMA 14-30R to 6-20R?

I have all dryer plug outlets in my shop with 30 amps each. They are four wire 30 amp NEMA 14-30R outlets in a double gang box. My dust collector (Oneida) comes with a NEMA 6-20P plug end and needs a 6-20R receptacle. If I convert the outlet for it to a 6-20R (I am comfortable with this), can I use the other space in the double gang box for a regular 120V outlet? If so, how would I do that? Use ground, neutral, and either one of the hot's?

Cut the plug off the Oneida and put on a 14-30 plug. Wire for two hots and a ground. Done.

Yes is the answer to your question on wiring a 120 receptacle from the 4 wires.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Cut the plug off the Oneida and put on a 14-30 plug. Wire for two hots and a ground. Done.

Yes is the answer to your question on wiring a 120 receptacle from the 4 wires.
    Thanks Mike. I already bought the 6-20R receptacle so I will just put a 120v receptacle in the box next to it. Thanks for confirming.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipan Patel View Post
    Thanks Mike. I already bought the 6-20R receptacle so I will just put a 120v receptacle in the box next to it. Thanks for confirming.
    What size is the breaker? It is not code compliant to use a 6-20R on a 30 amp circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    What size is the breaker? It is not code compliant to use a 6-20R on a 30 amp circuit.
    30 amps... What is the rationale? Would it be code compliant to graft a dryer plug on my dust collector instead?

30 amps... What is the rationale? Would it be code compliant to graft a dryer plug on my dust collector instead?
    I would be more concerned with the 120v part of the circuit, it will be protected with a 30amp 2 pole single throw switch. I wouldn't do it that way and while I don't know for sure, I doubt if it would be to code. And you would have 30amp potential on a 120v plug.

The rationale is the breaker protects your wire and outlets. All of them should match (or worst case, never have a higher breaker than the components). Yes, it's code compliant to plug into an outlet served by a 30a breaker - code doesn't really do much about what you plug into it -- that's up to the device.

If you must use that 20a outlet, i'd change the breaker to 20a as well.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Beam View Post
    The rationale is the breaker protects your wire and outlets. All of them should match (or worst case, never have a higher breaker than the components). Yes, it's code compliant to plug into an outlet served by a 30a breaker - code doesn't really do much about what you plug into it -- that's up to the device.

If you must use that 20a outlet, i'd change the breaker to 20a as well.
    Thanks. That makes sense. I didn't pause to think that the outlet itself has specific amperage rating and was just thinking of it as different pin configuration/interface. I will use a dryer plug and graft it onto the DC.