Thread: Links in Threads or Posts

Question Links in Threads or Posts

Can someone enlighten me or at least clarify the Rules on posting Links? Mike you removed a eBay link I posted yesterday to help that guy from Morocco locate parts for his laser.
    This was posted for an information purpose only to illustrate the part he might be able to use. Not that he needed to purchase the exact same one.

My understanding no links to private websites. But I see other links to commercial sites posted and not removed.
    PS I have done some Searching and can find nothing about posting Links.
    Thanks guys, just making sure.
    Last edited by Bill George; 05-08-2015 at 10:10 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

A few other sites don't like direct links to E-bay or Amazon.
    Instead of a direct link to the item, post the item number. That is searchable on the site.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Bill,

From the Terms Of Service listed at the bottom of every page:

3. External Linking

Links to other websites are allowed in posts. In fact, they are encouraged. However, links for the sole purpose of marketing, generating traffic to a site, or any other commercial advertisement deemed to solicit commercial benefit are not allowed. Links to other public or private forums are not allowed. Links should be submitted as references, for the sole purpose of generating or supporting discussions on SawMill Creek.

The main reasons we don't allow links from e-bay are two fold. 1) once the product is sold the link the links to nothing. It no longer exists and makes any reference it might have provided no longer valid. Thus the thread looks bizarre and keeping these type of threads cleaned up would be an administrative nightmare. 2) Allowing links to e-bay or any other auction site would encourage thousands of people to register just to post an e-bay link to a product they were trying to sell.

As stated you can refer to E-bay and post an E-bay number, you just cannot link to it.

You cannot link to other forums, so you will see them deleted.

You CAN link to commercial sites for reference in a discussion but only if you, personally, don't financially gain from that site. So, if you were to link to a commercial site you own, and at which you sell merchandise, we will delete that link.

I hope this answers your questions.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 05-08-2015 at 1:26 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Well I guess I posted the Link as a reference, but since its No eBay links ever can be posted it was edited. I understand now and was not trying to cause problems, just was confused because I saw other commercial links.

I just went and reviewed the TOS regarding External Links, it really needs to have added no eBay Links and it would save a lot of time for the Moderators , Thanks Ken
    Last edited by Bill George; 05-08-2015 at 1:56 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post

I just went and reviewed the TOS regarding External Links, it really needs to have added no eBay Links and it would save a lot of time for the Moderators , Thanks Ken
    I doubt it would save them any time. Nobody reads them.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night