Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed with LV apron plane.

Blog Entries
    I'd like to try and clarify:

1. I use the plane for small piece on end-grain, like hand plane parts and other small things. I'm not talking furniture size stuff here. and yes IT IS A GOOD PLANE FOR THAT, I like it better than a 60 1\2.

2. I sharpen only free hand - sometimes over a hollow but mostly just free hand. I think what Derek said about me being heavy handed with it might be a good point. all my bevel down planes hold up well, but my two bevel-up block planes don't seem to hold an edge as well. maybe it's something about BU planes? in any case I will work of my approach with working with them. Thank you Derek that is a very good point.

3. I'd rather not get into to pluses and minuses of the Apron plane design. for example I personally I don't the Norris adjuster - it has no sensitivity to laterals adjustments, and the blade shape makes it very hard to reach with a hammer. I much prefer lateral adjustment with a hammer and a regular screw for depth. but that has nothing to do with the point. I also tend to loosen the wheel without noticing, the Stanley wheels like on the 60 1\2 and the 102 are more out of the way. but this post for me is only about blade life, other people I'm sure like all those features.

4. no matter how many of you feel you might never wear out the blade, it doesn't mean much because you must be a light user of the tool. let me explain - 3\8 = 12\32. if a blade chips you can easily los a 1\32. I use the tool with pride, it hits knots, tough end grain and what not, and even if I were very careful, things happen, I once hit a hidden nail in some otherwise clear looking reclaimed timber. so if I had to grind it 12 times over the years, which may sound like a lot but it's not if you use to tool 15 times a week, I would be out of blade (and that doesn't include regular sharpening). so the tool just doesn't have a life span suitable for someone who does not have a LV store in their back yard and that actually uses it. that's how I feel, take it or leave it. I truly think a high end tool should be able to be a workhorse.

Matthew,

Perhaps there is an opportunity here.... become a LV distributor for the Middle East? Perhaps LN AND Lee Valley?

I understand your frustration with the cost of small parts vis a vis shipping them. It is an unfortunate perceptual trap. The cost of shipping large things and/or mass quantities has gone down exponentially in the last 50 years, but not nearly as much for smaller things. Throw in the vagaries of import duties, and the thought of hunting down a local bladesmith to knock out a blade for one may be worthwhile. Of course, one must have local bladesmiths for that to work.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

How can I have a package of 6 of those little folding credit card knives (be careful to not forget there might be one in your wallet when you go to the airport!) sent from CHINA for $1.00? And the shipping is free to me. The knives are $1.00 each. I like giving them to my friends. A very clever little invention. And,the real thing,not knockoffs. On the inventor's website,he wants a LOT more.

On TV(always such a bargain),they are something like $8.17 EACH PLUS shipping. And,just to be good to you,for just separate shipping and handling,they'll send you a second one FREE!!!!

Anyway,that shipping is clear from China and all the way across the USA for a dollar!!

I never had an apron plane,or even an apron!!
    Last edited by george wilson; 05-12-2015 at 2:30 PM.

Chinese must have subsidized shipping because similar stuff from England on eBay is literally an order of magnitude more expensive.
    Nevertheless to have only 3/8" of a blade available is somewhat ridiculous and also wasteful design unless the blade could be re-purposed for something. I have kind of migrated away from the block planes and just use my 4 for most of the endgrain stuff.

Hold up friends!!! Matthew has been a good and regular participant on this forum. While I don't personally agree with some of what he has said, the gentleman is entitled to his opinion, based on his experience. IMO, there's no reason to get sarcastic or hostile just because he's pressing his point longer/harder than some of us might prefer.

Respectfully,
    Fred

Shipping from England HAS gotten very high because of some regulation I can't recall. Even small items like a little teeny tool costs a lot to get sent. I wish it did not have to be that way among chief allies. We also make it very difficult to let each others immigrants in. In the museum,we had to prove that the British craftsmen they wanted had unique skills not available in the USA,and vice versa. Took YEARS to get the harness maker and the book binder to be able to stay here.

But,that gets entirely off the subject. The shipping costs do bother me,though.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 05-12-2015 at 11:12 AM.

Blog Entries
    Buy a new blade, or buy a different plane.

The lament seems to be over this becoming a recurring cost to the OP. The cost to him for a replacement blade is more than was spent on most of my planes. Maybe my willingness to bring old iron back to life may be considered "penny wise and pound foolish" to others. If my position was the same as Matthew's, my hobby might be something completely different. My being "penny wise and pound foolish" has allowed me to accumulate quite the arsenal to attack woodworking projects.

Many people seem to like the LV apron plane. My satisfaction would quickly turn to disappointment in the same situation. Heck, even if the shipping was free my happiness factor would drop.

Unfortunately for the OP, he lives in an area where finding usable new or second hand tools is difficult. He is somewhat exasperated by spending good money on a plane that let him down by what he considers premature blade end of use.

The blade actually is listed at more than $20. I have no idea if there is import tax on such items. International shipping can be a pain in the back side. Spending half the original cost on a consumable component to keep something working is not something that appeals to most folks.

jtk
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 05-12-2015 at 11:13 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I would have been quite upset too about only 9mm of blade life. The plane itself is 99 euro, the blades 26.50 euro overhere. Not really small change. I can see why LV wouldn't want to change the design, but a fair warning on the website and the catalogue may be in order.

Just a suggestion: I believe the OP is located in Israel? Good grades of tool steel should be readily available and for less than the cost of one blade and shipping the OP can buy enough tool steel to make 25 or 30 years of blades, plus the "fixings" to construct a small heat treat furnace (use your wife's toaster oven to draw with). Yes, a bit of work & thought to get through the first one, but every other (for other planes, etc. as well) becomes easy. The upside is you can choose O1, W1, A2 or anything you want to try.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Hi George,
    Darn shame about the bookbinder and harnessmaker, too. Glad they finally did get residency.

(BTW, your inbox is full and isn't accepting PM's just now.)

Take care,
    Fred
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 05-12-2015 at 11:14 AM. Reason: correction
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    1. I was and am not pushing my point, I think anyone who reads this thread will already get the warning about the blade life. and as I said on the original post - I also wanted to vent.

2. A friend of mine owns the only fine woodworking tool store in Israel. we contacted LV and Veritas, they said they were not interested in having a dealer in Israel because we should buy from Euroup.

3. Cost - you say 20$. I see 27$ + shipping another 30$ or more + fedex (or the like) will charge another 25-50$ to release the item. it happened to me once before. this is because LV do not use regular post. so....

AND yes - shipping from China is wonderful (-:

Tony - that is not a bad idea at all..... I could also leave the blade square to adjust laterally with a hammer. but I know there is so much going on the Apron plane will have to wait it's turn.

Thank you and all the best, I hope I have not offended anyone, and if I did please feel free to tell me. I'd like to stay friendly, I have no time or intention to drag anything out.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 05-12-2015 at 11:16 AM.

The cheapest solution is to buy two blades at the next Free Shipping event, find a mate in Canada or the USA and get them to post you the parcel using the lowest cost possible. Mark it as a gift and it won't cost more than a beer for your mate and a couple of stamps.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

I gladly help him with that
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Sanitized for your protection

Hi All. I've edited down some of the threads to keep things friendly and civil and relevant. If you feel you've been redacted unfairly, please PM me.

FWIW, I've found this thread very thought provoking on a couple levels. Thanks!!!!

Shipping to Malaysia and taxes is also an issue. To a point of being absurd....