Thread: Heat Tape Fire? Any experts here?

Heat Tape Fire? Any experts here?

The continuing saga of my dehumidifier to the outside...

This was supposed to be a temporary fix until weather broke.
    HeatTape.jpg

After the pipe froze last winter, they came and cut the pipe off and ran a tape inside of the pvc pipe. It is hot wired to the unit and is still heating. Shouldn't there be a thermostat so it comes on when needed. Is this a fire hazard with the pvc pipe changing color from the heat? Any recommendations on the correct way this should be installed so I can be sure it is done correctly? Doubt I will ever use this contractor again. When they did this tewmporary fix, I was told they would come when the weather permitted to run the tape inside the pipe and into the french drain. I got a call about a month ago from them asking if it was OK to close the ticket. Finished? I told them no and I wasnted it fixed they way I was told it would be. Now I am concerned that this is not good at all. Still waiting...

S
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

No, the job isn't done.

There are different types of heat tapes. I've pasted a link that compares them. It's the result of a quick Google search, I'm not recommending the company and don't know anything about them.

https://www.warmlyyours.com/en-US/po...ing-Cables-525

No, the heat tape doesn't need to be powered once the the temperature gets over freezing. There's different wattage ratings for heat tape also, looks like what you have runs way hotter than you need.

The simplest "thermostat" solution is an on/off switch that you turn on when you have problems and turn off when it warms.

Where I worked the heat tapes on process lines had thermostats on them. The ones that didn't had dedicated circuit breakers so they could be shut off at the end of winter. Most installations had self regulating heat tape. They still had thermostats, we wasted enough electricity as it was.

-Tom

Is the heat tape bunched up and causing a hot spot? Shouldn't a single stripe be sufficient to prevent freezing? Multiple layers seems like that is the cause of the overheating and possibly creating a fire hazard.

Steve

FWIW -- not legal in these here parts.......not even for sale in local BORG, etc...........
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I haven't installed a lot of heat tape but every bit I've installed has been wrapped around steel pipe and connected to a T-stat. The pipe insulators came in after that and I have no idea what kind of insulation they use except to say it looked like rigid fiberglass.

Blog Entries
    There is a heat tape that is a semi conductor and it self limits and is safe for plastic pipe and you can even cross the tape over itself without problems. I think Frostex is one brand.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I'm no heat tape expert but I think what you have is a disaster waiting to happen. I would unplug that thing ASAP!

Heat tape should not be touching itself, anywhere. That's what causes a meltdown.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Heat tape should not be touching itself, anywhere. That's what causes a meltdown.
    I would love to unplug it but they hard wired the heat tape into the unit and ran the wire out through the sheet metal case. Not good but I thought they would be back soon. I got a call from them yesterday wanting to schedule an appointment to finish. I plan on requesting a detailed installation plan documenting what parts they plan to use and exactly how they plan to install them. Based on history of their work, I do not trust them. I cannot believe how well they were rated on Angies List. I sure have not seen that quality of work here. I plan on placing a very detailed report on Angies List complete with pictures when this is over. I will never use them again.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Enjoy Life...

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I would love to unplug it but they hard wired the heat tape into the unit and ran the wire out through the sheet metal case. Not good but I thought they would be back soon. I got a call from them yesterday wanting to schedule an appointment to finish. I plan on requesting a detailed installation plan documenting what parts they plan to use and exactly how they plan to install them. Based on history of their work, I do not trust them. I cannot believe how well they were rated on Angies List. I sure have not seen that quality of work here. I plan on placing a very detailed report on Angies List complete with pictures when this is over. I will never use them again.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Oops - Was supposed to be Pat's comment for reply to quote

Enjoy Life...

Seems to me a return call with the local electrical inspector's name in hand is appropriate.

This is an obvious fire hazard. Your next call to be to a lawyer.