Thread: Biesemeyer Black Fence Rails

Biesemeyer Black Fence Rails

Greetings all, looking for feedback here. I currently have a Biesemeyer fence with 30" rails on my Delta Contractors saw. I'm looking at upgrading to a 52" rail or putting the 52" rail on my '49 vintage Unisaw. Unfortunately, it looks like the rails for my model Fence (gray version with notches for miter slots and tilting motor) are no longer available. It looks like the current Biesmeyer offering, the black rails, doesn't have the notches. What little technical detail I can find on the fence system says it is a T2 fence. So, what I'd like to find out from you guys is if anyone as any firsthand experience with these rails. Will they bolt onto my saw without any modification, as my original rails did?

What few reviews I've found on line are not favorable of this chiawanese made fence. In fact, they're critical of Biesemeyer and Delta.

If this fence won't bolt on easily I'll resort to fabricating my own. I certainly am not going to drill holes in my saw table.

I would appreciate any feedback or experiences.

Carl

Sawstop has a black Bies clone. Maybe.....
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

The rails look pretty easy to make, you just need angle iron, and steel tube

I agree, it looks fairly simple to make the rails. I have viewed a very good video series on You Tube on the fabrication of the rails. Made me want to make my own....just because I can. Unless someone has some encouraging and convincing feedback, I'll likely make my own.

Blog Entries
    Making your own is a fine idea. Bear in mind that the alignment and tracking of the Beisemeyer design rely heavily on the front rail being true. The surfaces the pads ride on should be milled to replicate the actual Beis rail. I loved my Beis and on my Saw Stop, the real Beis is the only thing I really miss.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    the real Beis is the only thing I really miss.
    I already have he fence, so the rails and the square tubing are all I need. My cocrrn in making my own tube is the true flatness of the business side of the tubing. Biesemeyer, or Delta or whoever is making these things now, I'm sure has some quality control check and can afford to discard a flawed tube. I have to hope the tube I purchase is true right off the bat. I've never done any metalwork like this with steel tubing and have no idea how true or bent they would be along an 84" piece. Yeah, I'm talking myself into making these now. Lol

Carl

Or buy the current version and file notches into the angle iron for the miter slots. I did this on a set once. Maybe 15 minutes with a metal file and some touch up paint (gloss black is easy)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    Or buy the current version and file notches into the angle iron for the miter slots. I did this on a set once. Maybe 15 minutes with a metal file and some touch up paint (gloss black is easy)
    Joe, which saw did you mount the rails to? Did the rails have the correct predrilled hole pattern or did you have to drill holes?

Carl

I used to have a Powermatic 66 saw, an extra 20" extension, and a Powermatic 26 shaper with extensions all bolted together with a custom size Bies fence 84" rip ! I had to drill the cast to bolt it on and I had to file notches for the miter slot on the shaper. Not hard at all.

Later I upgraded to a Sawstop ICS and I put it in place of the PM66. I didn't bother with the 84" wide rip as I basically never used it. This fit was a lot harder and the Sawstop ICS is deeper front to back than the PM stuff. So I fabricated a filler piece out of 1/2" steel plate and some 3/16" plate welded to mount it to the other parts.