Thread: Urn pictures

Urn pictures

I have been called upon by close friends to make an urn for someone who passed too early. I had to ship the urn before I had pictures, so the intermediary just took some for me. Cherry and maple body with Honduran Mahogany top. The dome is glued on with a stepped or rabbitted connection so plenty of glue surface since it is cross-grain. The body joints are all long grain to long grain, so should be stable. The base is treated similarly to the top and due to the small size, movement should not be an issue.

There are no end-grain to side grain only connections, though it may appear so from the outside..

About 12" tall.

Scooby_Urn1.jpgScooby_Urn2.jpg

The lid is attached with PVC threads set in epoxy and are not screwed tight as they will stick and possibly lock. The immediate family has not seen the urn yet, they will pick it up Monday. I made it at the request of an aunt who took the pictures for me. The pewter inset on the top covers a screw hole. The dome blank was originally held by a screw chuck and the cap piece came out of the blank where the screw chuck hole was.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Very beautiful work. The woods go well together and the purpose is so respectful.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Thom,
    That's a beautiful piece. Like Brian, the woods are a good combo. I'm curious about commissioned pieces like this. Did you start this from scratch after you received the request, or did you have pieces already glued up? I'm assuming that the woods were already dry?

Brian, thanks, I try to be respectful. Urns are not for the dead, but the living suffering a loss.
    On the side facing away is the deceased name, a saying and his dates as might be put on a headstone. Burned in with pyrography, but since it is private data I did not show that side.

Eric, I started it after I got the request. I had the Cherry and Maple, both dry and purchased the Mahogany as kiln dried. I have another with the staves cut but have not started the glue up as it is not a rush. The family has had the remains for several years and want a better housing than the box the crematorium put them in.

These are a 'commission' only in the sense that they were requested. I am not charging the families, and do not do these commercially. I have another urn, Rosewood, nearly complete. I just need to make a top for it. It is not committed and the requests for these came in just after I hollowed it out and my wife said 'NO MORE', every time I make one, I get requests for more. I did not know the recipients of the two staved urns, the rosewood is reserved for closer family.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

5. Thom.......these are quite nice! I know these will mean a lot to the family..............class act, Sir!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!