Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Packratitus Causes Blindness

Packratitus Causes Blindness

Packratitus is an insidious disease because it infects its host very slowly.

"Hmmm... I might need this piece of scrap. I think I'll just set it over here."

And the piles begin to grow until it becomes chronic.

"Hmmm... I might need this later. But where can I put it?"

Chronic Packratitus
    is usually accompanied by partial or complete blindness.

A family member says, "This place is a junkyard!"

You look around and say, "What are you talking about? This is what all well-stocked workshops look like! Do you know what I can make with all this stuff?"

Common replies are, "A big bonfire?" or "A nice home for carpenter ants?"

When your family and friends recognize the disease has become chronic, they may have an intervention with you. Friends may come over and see your shop and say, "Wow! What do you need all this junk for?!?" Sometimes the intervention is more direct, "You're a Pack Rat!"

"Hey, this stuff wasn't cheap! I might need it later." Denial is common among those afflicted with Packratitus.

But there is a cure - moving. When you are cleaning and packing all those things you plan to take to the next place, the blindness begins to fade. Denial melts away. And what you once saw as valuable will become junk and you'll be asking yourself, "What on earth did I save all this junk for?" Don't ask how I know.

been there , saved that ....
    at one point in time , i didn't spend more than 18 months in a "home"
    bought my own place .....30 plus years here now .
    so i had 30+ years of 'saving'
    decided i wanted a pool table again and the 'savings' had to disappear.
    many trips to the dump , many cans of trash out each week..
    i think the moving every 18 months or so was easier lol
    but i have my pool table again

Feel for you having to move. We have been here about 33 years. Helps to have a wood furnace to feed all those pieces to. But it is warm now, and it is building up. But I don't want to have to move now, just beginning to get the shop the way I want it. But i could use a few more buildings to fill with boards. Did I mention I have a bandmill?

28 years here. I've been purging for two days solid. But now I'm beginning to think I want to stay. After 4 garbage cans of scrap and stacks of longer pieces, the shop is looking pretty good. I even found my lathe!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    But there is a cure - moving.
    Amen to that. I have saved myself from saving something I don't need many a time by simply asking myself, "If I were packing the house to move right now, would I want to pack this???". Its been working for me so far . . . . . . for the most part ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

This seems to be a pretty common theme!!! I've been doing the same thing lately.

Maybe it's age related. I'm 56 now, and the ability of actually having enough room to park the cars in the garage, is pretty cool. ( I admit it, I can now park both of our cars in the garage. )
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 05-09-2015 at 10:30 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

For a long time I thought it was just about the wood but then I started to realize how much old hardware I have accumulated that I dreamily expect to incorporate into some future project.

Sometimes a member of the intervention team gets a glimpse into my stash of cool old hinges and latches and I can see the glazy look in their eye, they've been infected too.

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Linnabary View Post
    Sometimes a member of the intervention team gets a glimpse into my stash of cool old hinges and latches and I can see the glazy look in their eye, they've been infected too.

David
    So, rather than getting healed, you pass on the disease?

10 hours Friday, 13 hours Saturday. Yesterday was my day of rest. Today is a good day to work in the basement. It's raining outside.

I went back down to the basement today to look at the work I still have ahead of me. There's still stuff I have to put back into the shop and only half of it is cleaned out. You look east and see this:

Turn around and it's this:

It's the Tale of Two Workshops. At least my blindness is being cured.

I think I'm going to rent a Bobcat to finish the cleaning.

What a nice cozy shop! I love having everything, well, most everything right there.

Since I have the massive junk clearing in mine, it has made a huge difference in my sanctuary. When tempted to save scraps, they are dropped into trash can right then.

I have to walk into another room to get all the stuff that used to hang from the ceiling, and walls--but that's OK, cause now I don't risk an avalanche, or falling to get to it.

I love that panelling.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

11. Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post

I think I'm going to rent a Bobcat to finish the cleaning.
    Bobcat? You could do donuts with a bobcat inside that place it's so clean! My next shop cleanup will have to start with a leaf blower before I can get to the construction dumpster phase. I'd post pictures, but that might land me on that TV show for people who can't throw stuff away.

Julie - the lower photo looks normal. The top one, not so much.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    Is that a Bourbon Street sign there near the panel? If so that's way cool Julie.

What is that silver and black looking thing to the right of the panel?

PHM

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Julie - the lower photo looks normal. The top one, not so much.
    Yes. The top photo does conjure up thoughts of neurosis.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post
    Is that a Bourbon Street sign there near the panel? If so that's way cool Julie.

What is that silver and black looking thing to the right of the panel?

PHM
    The Bourbon Street sign is from visiting the French Quarter in 1979. My brother had just graduated from SMU and I drove down to help pack him up and bring him home. On the way back we detoured to New Orleans. The sign and some Pat O'Brien hurricane glasses were my souvenirs. Oh, and a hangover.

The silver and black thing thing is a boom box. Gotta have music in the shop!

LOL, how true Julie.

About 8 years after we moved, Diann came home to find a stack of boxes out for garbage pickup with labels that said things like " Rod, Garage" on them.

She suffers from pacratitus and said "What's in the boxes"?

I replied, " No idea, however I haven't needed it for 8 years so it's going in the garbage".

An argument ensued, with me leaving the stuff out for collection.

Haven't needed it in the 13 years since, now I just throw stuff away if I don't have a near term use for it..............Rod.