Thread: Elevated Playhouse/Treehouse

Elevated Playhouse/Treehouse

Hey everybody,

Building a elevated treehouse/playhouse in the back yard. Started off designed as a single level deck with a little playhouse (still to be built) on it. Of course now the wife wants to add another level. Any thoughts on how to do this WITHOUT pulling up the posts? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steven Vincent; 05-09-2015 at 6:42 PM.

Ever watch a stud-based building get built? The builders first build the deck -- that is, the floor of the living space. Then they nail together walls which are lying on the deck, and stand them up. The walls get nailed down to the deck, and to each other. Usually there's shear walls someplace to stop things from collapsing sideways. You're right on track with this deck.

I understand how to build the next level---the playhouse---but I wanted to add another level on top of it. Usually you can use 12' posts and build up to the top but obviously I'm already past that point. I'm just wondering if I frame out with 2x4's or 2x6's will it be structurally sound to elevate up another 10 feet on the deck. I was looking for ideas.........

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vincent View Post
    I understand how to build the next level---the playhouse---but I wanted to add another level on top of it. Usually you can use 12' posts and build up to the top but obviously I'm already past that point. I'm just wondering if I frame out with 2x4's or 2x6's will it be structurally sound to elevate up another 10 feet on the deck. I was looking for ideas.........
    Folks build two and three story stud-based buildings all the time. They just repeat the process they used to make the first floor.

When you have several floors on this structure, it will be a pretty big sail. I wouldn't be trusting gravity to hold the thing together. Steel straps (see Simpson Strong-Tie) will help hold the layers together.

Thanks Jamie. I'll check it out.

Google: Platform Framing. That is what Jamie is referring to.

Have your floor joists align with the 2x4 wall studs and anchor everything down as suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Folks build two and three story stud-based buildings all the time. They just repeat the process they used to make the first floor.

When you have several floors on this structure, it will be a pretty big sail. I wouldn't be trusting gravity to hold the thing together. Steel straps (see Simpson Strong-Tie) will help hold the layers together.
    With a small footprint like this I would think that would make cross-bracing in the walls all the more important.