signs

The solid surface material is very good to work with
    makes very permanent signs

http://youtu.be/iqjG8Fdzuus welcome sign
    http://youtu.be/dD6J8XRrLi0 301 house number
    http://youtu.be/sgjKlnAHCB0 301 house ID number fancy
    Attached Images Attached Images

those look fantastic.
    for the black back fill, did you mask, machine, paint, de-mask ?
    Hurricane Laser "Floyd" 60w
    Rostock Max V2
    Shapeoko3
    LaserCut 5
    Corel Draw x4
    Rhino 5
    AutoCAD Lt
    Inventor Lt

just enough sense to come in out of the rain

Nice work Stan. I see your chip/dust collection works just as well as mine. As a lower cost option, I also use 3/4 and 1 inch PVC sheets for the same application. The PVC is formulated to be painted so you have more options if a customer wants to match colors with some other object. It can be carved very fast and holds detail really well.

I liked the welcome sign from reclaimed wood especially well. It has more character then new material.

these signs are machined out ,sealed, then the letters painted and sanded, buffed and re-sealed

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Nice work Stan. I see your chip/dust collection works just as well as mine. As a lower cost option, I also use 3/4 and 1 inch PVC sheets for the same application. The PVC is formulated to be painted so you have more options if a customer wants to match colors with some other object. It can be carved very fast and holds detail really well.

I liked the welcome sign from reclaimed wood especially well. It has more character then new material.
    After doing a few projects with PVC at this point, I think it's important to mention when V-carving PVC, you will need to do manual cleanup in the letters. I've tried lots of different settings, bits, ect and all resulted in needing cleanup. On most signs it's probably only a few minutes worth of work but I did one with a lot of smaller letters and it was a huge waste of time cleaning everything up.

Not my work but here is an example: http://www.3dsignforum.com/media/kun.../Bumpy%20F.jpg
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Moshinsky View Post
    After doing a few projects with PVC at this point, I think it's important to mention when V-carving PVC, you will need to do manual cleanup in the letters. I've tried lots of different settings, bits, ect and all resulted in needing cleanup. On most signs it's probably only a few minutes worth of work but I did one with a lot of smaller letters and it was a huge waste of time cleaning everything up.

Not my work but here is an example: http://www.3dsignforum.com/media/kun.../Bumpy%20F.jpg
    I haven't seen much of that problem. Maybe I hit upon just the right combination of bit speed and spindle travel speed. I use a single flute O-flute or sometimes a straight bit. Seldom spiral. If it is, I use a down cut because it makes the bottom of the carve more smooth and flat. I cut it fairly fast. Maybe its the material. I prefer Versatex brand. Azek also works well but I don't have a convenient supplier. I tried Lowes store brand trim board. It is more porous, more coarse grained and doesn't finish as nice. I have made lots of PVC signs like the one below (18 inches square) and I usually don't do much to it other than blow it off with compressed air and paint it. I will say the chips are difficult to capture and wind up all over the floor and stuck to things.

Georgia Tech.jpg

What font did you use for the welcome sign?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I haven't seen much of that problem. Maybe I hit upon just the right combination of bit speed and spindle travel speed. I use a single flute O-flute or sometimes a straight bit. Seldom spiral. If it is, I use a down cut because it makes the bottom of the carve more smooth and flat. I cut it fairly fast. Maybe its the material. I prefer Versatex brand. Azek also works well but I don't have a convenient supplier. I tried Lowes store brand trim board. It is more porous, more coarse grained and doesn't finish as nice. I have made lots of PVC signs like the one below (18 inches square) and I usually don't do much to it other than blow it off with compressed air and paint it. I will say the chips are difficult to capture and wind up all over the floor and stuck to things.

Georgia Tech.jpg
    I'm talking about v-carving. With endmill/straight bits, I've had no problem.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Okay, how about this one? I don't like to post it because the design was adapted from a business card and I am not fond of it (although the customer was pleased). However, I didn't have any trouble v-carving it and very little cleanup was necessary. I actually carved it through Oramask 813 masking to make the painting easier and more precision. Sorry but i just don't seem to have your problems.

1-Drlynsey-001.jpg

Art, Buzz looks GREAT! THWG
    Live Oak Forge
    40W Epilog Mini 18
    Shopbot 32"x24"x6" PRT
    Shopbot 48"x48"x6" PRS
    Next Engine Scanner
    Artcam
    CorelDRAW X5
    Multiple and various other implements of destruction