Thread: Can you have too many filters?

Can you have too many filters?

So I have a disease, I readily admit it. A "too good to pass up" deal came up on Craigslist and I got 4 of these babies. They are actual Torits. Problem is I already have two comparable on my outfeed from the cyclone. If I made a big box or ran them horizontally in parallel, would more improve my performance? I'm thinking like venting it directly outside sans filter effective? If not, I might see if there are some locals interested.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    There are two kinds of people in this world, those who say there are two kinds of people and those who don't

Put simply, more filter area = less restriction = less back pressure = more CFM.

Not all filters and media are the same and you can't tell from appearance. In addition to filtering effectiveness, in microns, you also need to know the air permeability rating of the filter in order to determine if it will work with the high CFM/air velocity needed in woodworking dust collection! It is totally possible that while they may do a good job filtering out fine particles, they could significantly reduce flow in the system- reduce collection at the source, which is the most important part of the equation.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    I built a large plywood box that houses 6 TORIT filters that are a bit larger than yours ... never had an issue with them ... the system is almost as unrestricted as if I were venting to the outside. A friend of mine from work came by with some Magnehelic gauges and he said it is just perfect.