Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: clean cast iron before waxing?

clean cast iron before waxing?

Is it necessary? I'm getting black marks on my wood after waxing the planer bed, and I am wondering if it is wax buildup. Do I need to strip the old wax off first, and if so, what do I use? Thanks

If the wax is dirty, like with bits of rust or something, then the dirt will likely transfer to the wood.

I scrub my table top with mineral spirits and a green Scotch pad, wipe clean, then wax (paste wax) and buff.

Blog Entries
    I do just what Jerry does.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Miner View Post
    If the wax is dirty, like with bits of rust or something, then the dirt will likely transfer to the wood.

I scrub my table top with mineral spirits and a green Scotch pad, wipe clean, then wax (paste wax) and buff.
    +2 ^^^^^^

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

yep, wax in can is pretty dirty. I will try MS, then scrap the dirty layer of wax off the top of the can, then try again.

Green scotch pad and MS....

(see a pattern here ? )
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

I do none of that - I am lazy - just add more wax when needed. Any wax transfer to the wood being machined has never been an issue for me - wax does not penetrate and I always have to scrape/sand anyway - no wax goobers have lasted past that part of the process. YMMV

Don't use wax use Boeshield.

"...after waxing the planer bed"

Dumb question alert: It's dirt, right? Not black marks from your planer's rollers, right?

If i rub a scrap of wood on tje planer bed, i get black marks on it

After cleaning by Fosberg method, coat with per FWW test article, http://www.amazon.com/CRC-03007-Mult...words=crc+3.36 leaves no extra residue, attracts and marks off nothing. Lasts longer than wax too. I haven't used anything else since I tried it.

I too use mineral spirits and then rewax. I also clean both the metal infeed and outfeed rollers with Toluene or paint thinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Christensen View Post
    I do none of that - I am lazy - just add more wax when needed. Any wax transfer to the wood being machined has never been an issue for me - wax does not penetrate and I always have to scrape/sand anyway - no wax goobers have lasted past that part of the process. YMMV
    That's what I do.

14. Same thing Jerry said.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    After cleaning by Fosberg method, coat with per FWW test article, http://www.amazon.com/CRC-03007-Mult...words=crc+3.36 leaves no extra residue, attracts and marks off nothing. Lasts longer than wax too. I haven't used anything else since I tried it.
    Tom, that link is dead and I'm curious what you are referring to. Thanks